1st time at the Desert 100!

hey guys...i plan on attending the 100 this year...and its my first year!:ride: absolutely stoked to go!? .....do you guys have any tips for the new comer? also....do you think i can make it one lap on my stock 1.9 (?) gallon tank? i was planning to fill about 4 water bottles too...:moon:

You should be able to do a lap on your stocker if your doing the ironman , I would plan on bringing a gatorade bottle along too JIC. My advice to a newcomer is a warm place to sleep (last year it got down to the 20's on friday night!!) , lots of water (camelbac etc. ) and dont bring an EZ-UP!! ..lol there were hundreds of broken ez-ups by the end of the weekend last year due to high winds and careless people decided to just leave behind, it was a mess. Thanks to the stumpies for puttin on such a great event, last year was my first and plan on attending yearly now!

I believe its 250f or 125 2t. One another note, make sure you have GOOD tires and if possible run UHD tubes, moose bibs or neutech tubliss out there. The rocks out there are horrible and cause a lot of flats. Pack extra tubes if possible:thumbsup:

Try to do the white knuckle the week before, its the same kind of riding and right down the road from the 100. Make sure you have ultra heavy duty tubes and good tires, at least 15 psi so no flats. You will see lots and lots of flats and torn tires. Do some of the poker run on sat do dial the bike in. And remember you cant WIN the race on the start....be careful...there are lots of rocks hiding under the sage brush.....lots of guys go down on the start....after the start just pace yourself and have fun racing!

Dustin

what is the terrain like there? i was going to pick up either some s12's or some maxxis rubber...

terrain is sand, mud, hard pack, volcanic rock. it's knarly. I am using a kenda millville, not the sticky. the sticky is too soft for the terrain around here. I have a good dunlop front as well. I used a dunlop 739 and it held up really well.

It should not be a problem for a 250F to make the loop on a stock tank but it never hurts to have a little extra jut in case.

Tire-wise any quality tire will work but the area can be rocky so tough tires, HD tubes and higher air pressure are a good bet. Maxxis Desert IT, Michelins, Pirelli's.

The White Knuckle site is up on the hill just south of town and is an awesome ride with almost no rocks at all...a true 'grip it and rip it' type of riding!

Millville's self-destruct if they even come close to rocks.

What do you recommend then?

I use mine in very rocky conditions and it has held up fine. it also depends on how you ride it. the carcass that kenda's uses is really tough that is why i like it. I might get the carlsbad at some point to try it out but i think my next tire is going to be another dunlop 739 A/T 120/100-18, or a IRC ve33 enduro tire. I used to run the IRC and it was a very durable tire.

really??? iv had bad experiences with this tire....including throwing some knobs on my friends cr and others are slowly ripping off

you also have two storke, which stereotypically burns out more easily that a 4 stroke like my xr. This tends to destroy tires. My cousin had a RM 250 and he was going through michelin s12's like butter. Me on the other hand, most of the time, a tire can last me 6-7 months.

How long are the short and long course of the White Knuckle?

Same course, just a difference in how long you are out there. The short course race lasts 1 1/2 hours, the long course goes for 2 1/2 hours. Last time the White Knuckle was in Odessa (2007) I think the laps were about 12 miles.