Sign in to follow this  

front end wobble

My son has a 2009 KX250F. We just had the front suspention re-valved and sprung along with new coil spring, set for his weight. two weeks ago he got a bad wobble with his front end which yanked the bars from his hands as he headed up the face of a jump and crashed hard. Braking both his arms, and knocking himself out. Finally, My Question, Other than he may have hit a rock or rut, something to do with the terrain (He had been taking the same line all day) Could there have been something wrong with the suspention to cause this to happen so abruptly??

Newer bikes have such steep steering head angles (low rake angle) that they are sensitive to wobble, anything that raises the rear or lowers the front exaggerates the steep rake and can start a wobble. Even rider position that places too much weight on the front can start a wobble.

My condolances to your son, I hope he heals quick. I know the experience of being in a wobble and going over the bars, fortunately for me it was only about 45mph and all I got was a bunch of bruises (rocks on the ground), couple of broken ribs, and a pulled sternum.

Forks too high in triples, too much front sag, too little rear sag, front springs too soft, dampen wrong.

Thanks, It was the first time at that paticular shop, where I had his suspention done, Ill find a different place to have his suspention checked out,that fear of the wobble will haunt him till we have it looked at. Thanks again