Sign in to follow this  

05 450x Shock Spring

Hello All,

So I finally bought my mm tape measure, and properly set the sag on my bike.

It's been a while since I've been on a scale, but I'm around 190 w/o gear. Bike is 575mm unloaded. I ride singletrack and fireroads in the desert.

After I set my race sag to 108mm (467), the free sag is 60 (515).

I also measured the length of the spring, and it's ~615mm, of which I believe the max spec is 595.

Took the bike out yesterday, and it feels really nice, but "it's only as good as I know".

I talked to racetech today, and they said I was good with the .47s in the front, and the 5.5 in the rear.

I think I may need to go to the 5.4, as I'm out of spec on the free sag and the spring length.

My real question is, am I close enough on the spring, or would I be better off with the 5.4? I'm just not experienced enough in this to know how close is "close enough".

Thanks for the tips!

JC

thats a big enough change to be worth getting a new spring IMO, you can pick them up secondhand a lot of the time from tuners or ebay etc.

Hello All,

So I finally bought my mm tape measure, and properly set the sag on my bike.

It's been a while since I've been on a scale, but I'm around 190 w/o gear. Bike is 575mm unloaded. I ride singletrack and fireroads in the desert.

After I set my race sag to 108mm (467), the free sag is 60 (515).

I also measured the length of the spring, and it's ~615mm, of which I believe the max spec is 595.

Took the bike out yesterday, and it feels really nice, but "it's only as good as I know".

I talked to racetech today, and they said I was good with the .47s in the front, and the 5.5 in the rear.

I think I may need to go to the 5.4, as I'm out of spec on the free sag and the spring length.

My real question is, am I close enough on the spring, or would I be better off with the 5.4? I'm just not experienced enough in this to know how close is "close enough".

Thanks for the tips!

JC

You need to check the spring at 100mm race sag to find out if you have the proper rate spring. Typically you like to see 20-25mm of free sag at 100m race sag. Because you have the spring preload set so soft at 108mm you're not getting a good indication of what your free sag should be.

My guess is the springs you have are fine, try measuring at 100mm race sag to know for sure. :)

Add to this post above, gear weighs 25lbs. Encase you measured sag with out the gear on.

Thanks for the replies everyone. Definitely had my gear on.

I'll put it up to 100mm and see what happens.

I appreciate it!!

JC