Sign in to follow this  

Thinking about a KX100 for my daughter

Hey guys my daughter is 5'3"-5'4" I think a KX100 would be a good size for her,do you guys think it would be about the right size?

What is a good price for a KX100, I am talking to 3 differant guys trying to make a decent deal,I'm looking at a 96,a 99 and a 2001 all of them are very close in price they are all also to far away to just drive over and look at.

Are there any upgrades or differances between these years to make one more desirable then the others?the 01 is my first choice but about 4 hrs away,the 96 would be my second choice due to it being the closest to me,its only a couple hour drive,they all appear to be in about same condition from pics and talking to owners.The 99 is realy farther then I'ld drive unless I can get it very cheap.

Any info would be helpfull..

Thanks

Yeah I think it would be a good size but mybe the guy 4 hours away would meet you half way? Just a thought good luck and for those check on KBB motorcycles and find the prices:thumbsup:

I've seen a number of girls that size on the track/trail riding KX 100's. I think it would be good for her as long as she has some experience riding.

Definately either the 99 or 01. They utlilize the KIPS system and are pretty much interchangeable from 98-09. There are some things that are different, motor wise after 05, but the smooth powerband makes it a nice ride.

I'm 5' 6" myself. We had a KX85 for my daughter and it would've been a KX100, I would have never sold it but just kept it for myself! It'll be a perfect size for her and a great bike.

thanks guys,yes she has some riding experience.

The smooth power is what I'm looking for so it looks like I need to keep my search on 98 and newer?

i just moved from a 2001 kx 100 to a 06 250x and the kx was easily one of the most fun bikes i have ever ridden. the power is nice and smooth and it was really nice in the trails.. it hooked up pretty good... i was ~5'6'' when i was on it and it fit great it should fit your daughter great too. if your going to be doing alot of tight trail riding... or just trail riding in general i recommend gearing it down or putting on a bigger flywheel it really helps alot to make it more luggable and also smoothed out the power even more without taking away any snap.

I moved my daughter up to a KX100 from a XR80 when she was about that size. It was a learning experience for her, she isn't a quick rider so it took her a while to get used to having to keep the revs up but after re-gearing the bike and adding a flywheel weight she did great.

I picked up a 95 model, the older KX100 doesn't have a power valve. I think 98 and newer has it, there wasn't much changed after that. Either one is fine so go for the best deal that you can get close to you. If the bike is too tall, Kouba offers a lowering link to bring it down a bit.

I think that most people who call a KX100's power delivery "smooth" are comparing it to a KX65, not a CRF80.

It might be smoother than some alternatives, but it is no playbike.

It's not a playbike, but I also think the power delivery is smooth. It can be mild or wild, depending on what you ask it to do.

sargentrab, if you can spend some time with your daughter when she first starts riding the 100 and make sure she understand the difference between good and bad noises the engine makes (sounds like a bee in a tin can ping ping, good; sounds like a slow speed lawnmower on valium bad) and that using the clutch on this bike is not optional, it's mandatory. Coming off a little four stroke, she's not going to be used to having to use the clutch as much and she won't get away with lugging it either. Encourage her to sit up on the tank so she doesn't get farted off if she accidently gooses it. Make her do some starts and stops and slow speed figure eights to get used to using the clutch. She'll do fine, just give her some help and instructions starting out while she makes the transition. I'm a 46 year old kid and I love my KX100!

It's not a playbike, but I also think the power delivery is smooth. It can be mild or wild, depending on what you ask it to do.

sargentrab, if you can spend some time with your daughter when she first starts riding the 100 and make sure she understand the difference between good and bad noises the engine makes (sounds like a bee in a tin can ping ping, good; sounds like a slow speed lawnmower on valium bad) and that using the clutch on this bike is not optional, it's mandatory. Coming off a little four stroke, she's not going to be used to having to use the clutch as much and she won't get away with lugging it either. Encourage her to sit up on the tank so she doesn't get farted off if she accidently gooses it. Make her do some starts and stops and slow speed figure eights to get used to using the clutch. She'll do fine, just give her some help and instructions starting out while she makes the transition. I'm a 46 year old kid and I love my KX100!

Nice,she is coming off 2 strokes,I started her on a DS80,then she moved to a RT100,I realise both of these have a pretty mild power delivery,but they both also have clutches and 5 spd's,lugging isnt a problem for her over reving is LOL,she blew the bottom end out of the RT trying to get just a bit more speed:thumbsup: The RT is old and pretty clapped out so not worth fixing,my thoughts are a KX100 should have more controlable power then the smaller 80-85's hopefully I can tame it down a little for the first few rides untill she gets used to taller seat and more responce to throttle she will do fine,and she shouldnt outgrow it in just a year I will probly try to figgure out some type of throttle limiter for the first trip or two.

^ Ah, I thought I read in your other thread that she was on a four stroke - me bad! She's going to love the 100! Hopefully she won't blow it up though!! Good luck and post some pictures when you can.

After close to 12 hrs on the road today looking at a couple KX100's I ended up buying the 96 the price was very reasonable and it is in great shape,I hope to get my daughter out tomorrow to give it a good going over,lube bearings,oil change,coolant change,ect.

She is thrilled with her new old bike:thumbsup: