Sign in to follow this  

If you want to street legal an non street legal bike in Las Vegas-beware

It isn't going to happen anymore. Today I road my 2009 KTM EXC over to the DMV on N. Decatur. The DMV employee came out to do the VIN check. He then asked for the green slip, which i provided (I was still smiling and being nice.)

He then asks me for my EPA certification sticker. At which point my blood pressure shot up to 200. I said listen "I know where you are trying to go with this, and I am not going down that road." He replies "we are cracking down on these things." (As some Harley goes by with open pipes...) So I reply, "I have a vehicle built by a factory to US EPA specs and I have a temporary registration already, do you do this to all the Fords, Chevys and every other factory built mode of transportion? He ignored me and again asked for the proof. I said " It is on the frame under the gas tank." Which it is... He says

"well how hard is it to take the tank off?" I roll my eyes and explain the process. He goes inside to get tools and then decides it will be easier to call KTM in OHIO. To make a long story short I am $170.00 poorer but I have a plate, registration and the title will be here in a few weeks. Just wanted to share my story. Later

probably easier in nevada than if you tried the same thing in kalifonia.

jump over the pond, hear in aussie esp queensland, once you pass road worthy thats it pay rego each year no DMV to worry about

Sounds like you got off easy. :p

In my experience, the DMV would like nothing more than to send you home.

It isn't going to happen anymore. Today I road my 2009 KTM EXC over to the DMV on N. Decatur. The DMV employee came out to do the VIN check. He then asked for the green slip, which i provided (I was still smiling and being nice.)

He then asks me for my EPA certification sticker. At which point my blood pressure shot up to 200. I said listen "I know where you are trying to go with this, and I am not going down that road." He replies "we are cracking down on these things." (As some Harley goes by with open pipes...) So I reply, "I have a vehicle built by a factory to US EPA specs and I have a temporary registration already, do you do this to all the Fords, Chevys and every other factory built mode of transportion? He ignored me and again asked for the proof. I said " It is on the frame under the gas tank." Which it is... He says

"well how hard is it to take the tank off?" I roll my eyes and explain the process. He goes inside to get tools and then decides it will be easier to call KTM in OHIO. To make a long story short I am $170.00 poorer but I have a plate, registration and the title will be here in a few weeks. Just wanted to share my story. Later

not really along the same lines, but I thought that this was somewhat odd when I went to get my title/plate in SC

I bought the bike in Alabama and I'm staying in SC for the time being. I brought it back. I knew I had a blinker out so I asked if they would be inspecting it as I was applying for the tag.

this is what blew me away. She said that if I was only going to do a transfer of title it would need to be inspected. However, if I was also planning on buying a tag for it, that it would not need to be inspected

Guess it's a way for a state to make some extra $$$ if somebody doesn't think their bike will pass inspection. wierd. :p

I thought KTM's came street legal from the factory now???

They do, that is my point for posting. This guy saw a dirt bike and even though I had all the proper docs he still wanted proof. In NV, in the past you could go get a WRF of DRZ E and add the mirror, horn, brake light ect. Take it to a shop or mechanic and they could sign off a DMV form that said you were good to go. You would take that form and the bike to the DMV and they would do an inpection to make sure you had a horn that beeps and a mirror ect. There was no requirement to provide proof of EPA emissions compliance. As off 2009 that has changed. I posted to warn guys before they go buy a bike and try to do the mod that they are probably wasting their time and money. You can't get an EPA sticker on your own, it comes from the factory.

I see... thanks for clarifiying.

Michigan lets you plate anything... but I'm sure sooner or later that will change as well.

Does anyone have a picture of a EPA sticker? What exactly does it say on it?

Michigan lets you plate anything... but I'm sure sooner or later that will change as well.

If the VIN isn't a street legal bike in NY, you're just about out of luck.

It depends on where you live in TN as far as emisions standards go , but all you gotta have is a headlight, tail light , brake light, blinkers, horn, and a plateholder. No two strokes can be plated unless they are a scooter or moped. I'm not 100% about that either.

With states wanting cash,

"will register anything for cash" will probably soon be the motto.

I have not had to do it yet, but I see everything on the streets in AZ. Rhinos and Rangers are even street legalizable. Just not for highway use. Horn, mirror, headlight and taillight are about all you need.

But in Maricopa county it must pass emissions.

There are two Countys in Nevada that require smog certs; Clark (LasVegas) and Washoe (Reno). In any other county I think you can register any thing provided it has all the DOT stuf, and you have proof of residency.