Sign in to follow this  

Beware if you want to street legal a non street legal bike in Las Vegas

It isn't going to happen anymore. Today I road my 2009 KTM EXC over to the DMV on N. Decatur. The DMV employee came out to do the VIN check. He then asked for the green slip, which i provided (I was still smiling and being nice.)

He then asks me for my EPA certification sticker. At which point my blood pressure shot up to 200. I said listen "I know where you are trying to go with this, and I am not going down that road." He replies "we are cracking down on these things." (As some Harley goes by with open pipes...) So I reply, "I have a vehicle built by a factory to US EPA specs and I have a temporary registration already, do you do this to all the Fords, Chevys and every other factory built mode of transportion? He ignored me and again asked for the proof. I said " It is on the frame under the gas tank." Which it is... He says

"well how hard is it to take the tank off?" I roll my eyes and explain the process. He goes inside to get tools and then decides it will be easier to call KTM in OHIO. To make a long story short I am $170.00 poorer but I have a plate, registration and the title will be here in a few weeks. Just wanted to share my story. Later

Ummm why didnt the dealer do all this for you? When I bought mine the dealer sent in all the info for me and wa la a few weeks later I got my plate in the mail. Whats up with Nevada? ****in hookers are legal but they give you a hard time about a bike? Weird...

here in cali the dealer is responsible for taking care of that for you.

Thanks for sharing that, it's getting harder and harder to plate a non-street legal bike. I think the point of the post is not that the dealer should have done it, but that if you go in with a bike that does not have that sticker, i.e., any other dirt bike besides a KTM, Husky, etc that is not already street legal off the dealer's floor, you WILL NOT get a plate. There have always been loop holes, but it looks like they are slowing being closed. Nothing that none of us didn't already know, but just another example of it happening.

So would this also imply that it would be a LOT harder if not impossible to put lights on a KTM non-street legal bike, and get a plate? Never done it myself but my understanding was the title for KTMs never say "off-road only" and that allows them to be plated pretty easily in most states. In states that are specifically looking for the EPA sticker, is this possible any more?

in CA, the DMV and CARB, the people that make up the rules saying not to street legal dirt bikes, and handle the green/red sticker rules, don't really communicate to well.

CARB came down hard in 2003 (i think that was the year) making it near impossible to plate something that was off road only.

Here it's usually a matter of getting the safety inspection by a dealer (or CHP), and having the DMV finish the rest... Sometimes it helps to get the right DMV person... i see a lot of bikes out here that should not have a plate but do.

but yeah... the dealer should have taken care of you.

I got a great deal from Walts Moto Sports in Lake Havasu, AZ. So all I had was the bike, DOCs and my checkbook. I posted to warn guys that they are going to need that EPA certification sticker now. Where as before you could put all the bells and whistles on and get a mechanic/shop to sign it off. Those days are gone as there is no way to get that EPA/emissions sticker.

after reading this it makes me a little fidgity since im in the middle of making mine street legal its a 2002 exc and im putting in all the light in myself wouuld this set me back completely or just temp.

after reading this it makes me a little fidgity since im in the middle of making mine street legal its a 2002 exc and im putting in all the light in myself wouuld this set me back completely or just temp.

talk to your DMV.

I have seen 2 strkes plated in newhampshire i am curious how hard it is to do here the bikes had lights on them but i havent tried. how much better for me would it be to spend 3000 bux on a 2 year old ktm 300 rather han 9grand on an new exc?

This all comes down to the state. It's fairly easy to plate dirt bikes here in Texas. Other states are different, so you have to check with your local DMV.

Three people here in Califonia have told me they had the DMV send them a letter demanding the license plate back, since the VIN on thier bikes weren't street legal from the factory. They were told they could get a green sticker, but would not be allowed to renew the license plate registration at the end of the year.

Three people here in Califonia have told me they had the DMV send them a letter demanding the license plate back, since the VIN on thier bikes weren't street legal from the factory. They were told they could get a green sticker, but would not be allowed to renew the license plate registration at the end of the year.

I hope this is not misinformation. I have yet to see a first hand post of loosing a plate. On the other hand, I had talked directly to a guy that just got a RMX 2-stroke plated in CA. Inconsistancy rules for now....

While I hate to see a crack down, consistant application of the law would be a welcome change... and would validate the extra $$ I paid for my 07.