Are Project Bikes Even Worth It? Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  

Beware if you want to street legal a non street legal bike in Las Vegas

It isn't going to happen anymore. Today I road my 2009 KTM EXC over to the DMV on N. Decatur. The DMV employee came out to do the VIN check. He then asked for the green slip, which i provided (I was still smiling and being nice.)

He then asks me for my EPA certification sticker. At which point my blood pressure shot up to 200. I said listen "I know where you are trying to go with this, and I am not going down that road." He replies "we are cracking down on these things." (As some Harley goes by with open pipes...) So I reply, "I have a vehicle built by a factory to US EPA specs and I have a temporary registration already, do you do this to all the Fords, Chevys and every other factory built mode of transportion? He ignored me and again asked for the proof. I said " It is on the frame under the gas tank." Which it is... He says

"well how hard is it to take the tank off?" I roll my eyes and explain the process. He goes inside to get tools and then decides it will be easier to call KTM in OHIO. To make a long story short I am $170.00 poorer but I have a plate, registration and the title will be here in a few weeks. Just wanted to share my story. Later

...He replies "we are cracking down on these things."...

What are they "cracking down" on? Is there some terrible blight on society these bikes are causing? Hard to understand.

The EPA/CARB stuff started in Cali and is slowly spreading east. Like a bad disease with no cure.

Too bad the jap OEMs won't just pay the dern EPA/CARB fee. KTM did, and I see so much orange out and about these days. Seems like a good business idea. Maybe not. Would be nice if KTM put the cert somewhere obvious.

rant over

The EPA/CARB stuff started in Cali and is slowly spreading east. Like a bad disease with no cure.

Yup. It's been said before. You can BET your bottom dollar is some BS starts here, it's only a matter of time before it rolls into your state. California is a predictor of this stuff, so if you want to see what's going to be happening in your state 5-10 years down the road, just examine CA.

California is a predictor of this stuff, so if you want to see what's going to be happening in your state 5-10 years down the road, just examine CA.

Guess I've got 5-10 years before I hang myself.

Guess I've got 5-10 years before I hang myself.

:)

I thought America was designed to be free... Its no different than any other country outside the fact we are just enforcing STUPID laws more slowly.

One day it will be illegal to pee behind your barn.. :banghead:

...One day it will be illegal to pee behind your barn.. :banghead:

If the cub scouts campin in the woods on the hill over yonder happen to notice ya peein "behind your barn", ya just might find yourself registering as a sex offender...

I don't even think those other countries have come up with one that stupid :)

I am so glad I live in AZ. My 06 KTM 450EXC is street legal along with my 09 Kawasaki KLX 450R. Once I get my 00 Kawasaki Kx250 up to par I am going to get it street legal too if I can get a stator for the 2 smoker.

I am so glad I live in AZ. My 06 KTM 450EXC is street legal along with my 09 Kawasaki KLX 450R. Once I get my 00 Kawasaki Kx250 up to par I am going to get it street legal too if I can get a stator for the 2 smoker.

I'm guessin ya don't live in Phoenix? I've got buds there that are telling me about a lot of new laws proposed to close off nearby riding? Just wondered.

I'm guessin ya don't live in Phoenix? I've got buds there that are telling me about a lot of new laws proposed to close off nearby riding? Just wondered.

Nope 2 hours away from that place. I wouldn't doubt it, things are here, Parker are getting bad too.

Nope 2 hours away from that place. I wouldn't doubt it, things are here, Parker are getting bad too.

Supposedly it's concerns about the dust, air quality....:banghead::)