IT'S LIVE! Full Review 2019 Honda CRF450L!!! Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  

Beware if you want to street legal a non street legal bike in Las Vegas

It isn't going to happen anymore. Today I road my 2009 KTM EXC over to the DMV on N. Decatur. The DMV employee came out to do the VIN check. He then asked for the green slip, which i provided (I was still smiling and being nice.)

He then asks me for my EPA certification sticker. At which point my blood pressure shot up to 200. I said listen "I know where you are trying to go with this, and I am not going down that road." He replies "we are cracking down on these things." (As some Harley goes by with open pipes...) So I reply, "I have a vehicle built by a factory to US EPA specs and I have a temporary registration already, do you do this to all the Fords, Chevys and every other factory built mode of transportion? He ignored me and again asked for the proof. I said " It is on the frame under the gas tank." Which it is... He says

"well how hard is it to take the tank off?" I roll my eyes and explain the process. He goes inside to get tools and then decides it will be easier to call KTM in OHIO. To make a long story short I am $170.00 poorer but I have a plate, registration and the title will be here in a few weeks. Just wanted to share my story. Later

Sounds like CA, which is probably how the rest of the country will be going.

The DMV is instructed to look for the EPA sticker.

I have a 1973 Honda motorcycle I registered two years ago.

"Where is the EPA sticker?"

"It's from the 70's, there were no stickers."

"Hmmm". Writes in big letters, "NO EPA STICKER".

I got a plate, so I won't complain.

Going to the DMV is like a box of chocolates, you never know what you going to get.