Sign in to follow this  

Bike for my girlfriend

I figured this would be the best forum to post this in to get the best answers!

My girlfriend decided she wanted to start dirtbiking with me! I'm really excited that we can share in it together. But I'm trying to figure out what bike to get for her.

She is about 5'4" (I'm guessing about 130lbs? lol I don't ask that question.)

I have been looking at the following bikes. (I want to stick with a 4 stroke, electric start more than likelyl) I want her to learn progressivly and when she dumps it, to want to get back up and keep going.

CRF-230F

CRF-150F (Thinking this one is too heavy for its size)

TTR-125LE or L

TTR-230

When she sits on the 125 she is flat footed, 230 is about right for her height wise if I were getting a bike to fit me. But I want her to feel very comfortable while she starts out as she has never really rode before.

We will be riding mostly single track mountain trails but some logging roads as well. She says she wants the 230 cause she "likes to go fast" but I don't know if that is the best bike for the hills for her.

Opinions? Suggestions?

My girlfriend decided she wanted to start dirtbiking with me! I'm really excited that we can share in it together. But I'm trying to figure out what bike to get for her.

I have been looking at the following bikes. (I want to stick with a 4 stroke, electric start more than likelyl) I want her to learn progressivly and when she dumps it, to want to get back up and keep going.

CRF-230F

TTR-125LE or L

TTR-230

When she sits on the 125 she is flat footed, 230 is about right for her height wise if I were getting a bike to fit me. But I want her to feel very comfortable while she starts out as she has never really rode before.

We will be riding mostly single track mountain trails but some logging roads as well. She says she wants the 230 cause she "likes to go fast" but I don't know if that is the best bike for the hills for her.

Opinions? Suggestions?

Gidday Scoffman,

I had the same thing a few years back and bought my wife a KLX125 which was good for her to learn on but after 3 months it wasnt fast enough ....i think a 230 would be the best may take a bit of getting use to but in the long run will be the best :p Happy riding

You could always look for a cheap, used bike to start with such as a 125, 150 or 230. Then if she gets bored, you can upgrade her to a kx100 or CRF150RB or even a full sized bike if that is what she wants. She may be able to start with a kx100 or CRF150RB if she's an aggressive type or they can be tamed down with a FWW or gearing changes and then put back later when she's ready. If it were me, I'm not sure I'd make a big investment yet just in case she doesn't like it. All of the bikes you mentioned have a good reputation for being bullet-proof so I'd definitely look used for at least the first bike. The kx100 can be found used, and cheap as well if you decide to go that route. If there's anyway she can try other people's bikes, that should help you both decide what's the best way for her to start. I hope you both find the best bike for her!

I wish she was able to try some bikes. We don't know many people in the area who bike. We are thinking about joining the local riding club too. I have been leaning towards the 230, but really don't want to scare her off if it ends up being too big. I've never seen that bike in action before so I have no idea how it handles.

The dealership says that they are tame, but typically they are just out for the sale... :p

I'm sure they are all good choices, but the TTR 230 has served me well. A little lean in stock trim, making it a bit cold-natured, but it's a great bike for the buck.

Back in 2007 Hubby bought us 2 bikes. He got a TTR230 & I got the TTR125E. I was just starting out so I went for the small wheel. I am only 5'2" so I wanted to get something that I would be able to touch the ground. After I learned the basics on mine I decided to try my Hubby's TTR230 out. I of course had to have his help starting & stopping but other than that I liked that bike way better than the TTR125. To me it felt a lot smoother. I sold mine last year & Hubby was going to let me have his 230 but after researching all of our options on lowering it for me we decided just to get me another bike. Now I have an '08 KLX140L & I really love it.

The only thing about the TTR230 is it's heavier than TTR125E. If she's on a trail & falls over will she be able to pick it up by herself? It was way too heavy for me to pick up. That's one of the other reasons why I went for the 140. Good luck in your search.:p

The 230 power delivery is very smooth and easy. A great learners bike, but it is going to be heavy for her to pick up. With practice, eventually she will get it - I learned to leverage myself against rocks or out crops to get mine up, that or the hubby would come along and help!

Even if she is not aggressive, a 230 will serve her well. We have a friend that bought my 230 that had never ridden dirt before and she loves it and feels pretty safe on it. She is about the same size as your GF and with her boots can get a foot down flat. You can shave the seat or buy a low profile seat to get her a little closer to the ground.

If it gets to the point that it is not powerful enough, you can open the air box and change the jetting to get a little more power out of it when she is ready.

Just my 2 cents worth...

Shannon

DRZ-125 (probably not L). It's light, it's cheap (at least that's been my experience) and it's durable, it's forgiving.

With her weight, she'll be good to go for a year or two, then move on to the 250s.

mine started on the xr100. within a few months she was riding beyond the bikes capabilities. i feel that it was a good learning bike tho, due to being light, easy to ride, and extremely reliable. she did quickly outpace it and has since moved to a kx100 which is a great bike. little weak on the bottom for her coming of the 4 stroke, but super light and fast.

I started on a used TT-R125L (me = 5'1"). It's a very light bike, very short, very easy to throw around, ridiculously easy to maintain, very forgiving. Mine had been uncorked, so it had very little power rather than none. :ride: I've since ridden 150Fs, 230Fs, a CR80RB, and now have a 150R, and still think the little Titter was the right bike for me to start on. I think being comfortable is an important factor for starting in the dirt; if she feels good on the bike and masters it, she'll want to move to something with more motor and a real suspension; if she feels intimidated, she might never get into it.

TT-R125Ls are easy to find cheap used, and easy to sell for cheap once you're done and she wants to move up. :p

I'd forget the E-start. It just adds weight, and the Titter is super-easy to start warm or cold.

CRF-230F

TTR-125LE or L

TTR-230

Opinions? Suggestions?

We just went through this same exercise and my wife is very close to yours size wise. We started with the same list of bikes for the same reasons, knowing also that none of them would be a 'wrong' purchase. I took her around to the various dealers and had her sit on and pick them up from the down position and start each one. Armed with that information she chose the TTR125L. So there it sits, a left over '08, in the garage waiting for the snow to melt. If she takes to it and I'm sure she will if I do my part right, I'm fully expecting her to outgrow this one is short order. When that day comes I'll introduce her to the CRF150RB, and whatever else is available in that range by then.

One piece of advice I'll offer, dress for the crash. The ground is just as hard for her as it is for James Stewart, although he may be moving little faster. We didn't skrimp on safety gear. She has good boots, Alpinestar Tech 3's, a Leatt Club Brace, full THOR gear and we're shopping for knee braces right now. I know how I'd feel if she was injured and it's not worth that. How's that for self serving.

I loooooved learning on the 230... I graduated to a 250... still own the 230 cause I let all my friends learn on her... she is a great machine... they are both great moto... Honda... all the way baby!!!!

Wow, I think I've had each bike recommended! I think we may make a date of it and go out to each shop and let her sit on them all. Maybe I'll accidently drop the bike in the showroom and get her to pick it up to see what she thinks of the weight. Then we will run. just kidding.... but I think we will go check some out this weekend.

Honda has a deal out right now where they are offering 2.5 years warrenty on these bikes for the '08's. Is buying new with that warrenty worth it?

The used ones I'm finding are all around '04s or '05s and the people are asking 1000 to 1500 off the tax in price of a new 08.

DND: Where in British Columbia are you from? I live in Kelowna.

I wouldn't buy any of the starter trailbikes new - too many available lightly used for much less. At least, down here. Dunno if it's different in BC. :p

CRF-230F

TTR-125LE or L

TTR-230

Opinions? Suggestions?

i'm just going through the same thing, my girl like yours is 5'4", so a 250 is out as she can't touch the floor. my friend has an 07 CRF250X with a lowering link on the rear shock, but its still a bit too high for a beginner, she only weighs 115 so she doesn't sink the shocks down much either.

i narrowed them down to the CRF150F or the KLX140L, after looking at the CFR150F's weight i decided on the KLX140L, but then i got a Killer deal on a new 07 CRF150R Expert (big wheel). i looked at the pros and cons of this bike and decided it would be better in the long run, especially after most girls seam to sell the learner bike after 6 months and buy something better/bigger.

DND: Where in British Columbia are you from? I live in Kelowna.

Keep going north brother, Prince George, where it was -37.2C + windchill this morning when I let the dogs out. :ride::p

I found a '99 xr250 w/ lowered link for my lady. She loves it and it was a fraction of the cost of new.

Seems there are lots of low hour bikes around these days...