Sign in to follow this  

Scotts Stabilizer on 09 450

I had my steering damper revalved by a well known suspension builder and still hate the performance. I ride along some train tracks to get to the riverbed where I have a few tracks. Its scary when Im going 75mph and I get head shake even when I have the damper almost maxed out. I want to get the Scotts but I dont like the idea of adding an extra 3lbs to the already heavily weighted front end. Will the extra weight have negative effects on the forks that I can notice? Any other ideas?

The positives should out weigh the negatives by a long way,

Which way do you turn your standard stabilizer? I dont reckon they work at all!

I had my steering damper revalved by a well known suspension builder and still hate the performance. I ride along some train tracks to get to the riverbed where I have a few tracks. Its scary when Im going 75mph and I get head shake even when I have the damper almost maxed out. I want to get the Scotts but I dont like the idea of adding an extra 3lbs to the already heavily weighted front end. Will the extra weight have negative effects on the forks that I can notice? Any other ideas?

OHLINS

I put a Scotts on my 08 in place of the steering dampener and it was NIGHT and DAY compared to the stock ... which has a purpose that it does well.

I am not slamming the stock .. it does what Honda claims it does ... BUT it does nothing for straight line stability (only helps against deflection when cornering).

As stated in another post, if I were starting from scratch, I would go with the ohlins stabilizer. Much narrower profile meaning you don't have to change the rise of your bars as dramatically as the Scotts (if you are running the sub mount, your bars go up almost an inch .... which might be good or bad). I wanted to maintain stock height, so I need to run lower rise bars to compensate for my Scotts unit.

While the stock unit might be good for cornering (what its primarily designed for), I'll always stick with aftermarket ones for the straight line stability.:p

I put a Scotts on my 08 in place of the steering dampener and it was NIGHT and DAY compared to the stock ... which has a purpose that it does well.

I am not slamming the stock .. it does what Honda claims it does ... BUT it does nothing for straight line stability (only helps against deflection when cornering).

As stated in another post, if I were starting from scratch, I would go with the ohlins stabilizer. Much narrower profile meaning you don't have to change the rise of your bars as dramatically as the Scotts (if you are running the sub mount, your bars go up almost an inch .... which might be good or bad). I wanted to maintain stock height, so I need to run lower rise bars to compensate for my Scotts unit.

While the stock unit might be good for cornering (what its primarily designed for), I'll always stick with aftermarket ones for the straight line stability.:p

I agree. The Scott's Steering Damper is night and day compared to the stock HPSD. However, when I called Ohlins a few months ago to get one for my 09 450R, they said they do not recommend putting one on an aluminum frame bike (made mainly for KTM with steel frames). They said it is extremely difficult to get the head bearings out of aluminum style frames. Things may have changed but I wouldn't count on it. If Ohlins themselves don't recommend trying to use them, then I would stay away from them in this case. Anyway, I've been using Scott's for many years and they are awesome. They are even awesome coming into turns at high speed because it helps with stability while trying to pick your line.:ride:

I agree. The Scott's Steering Damper is night and day compared to the stock HPSD. However, when I called Ohlins a few months ago to get one for my 09 450R, they said they do not recommend putting one on an aluminum frame bike (made mainly for KTM with steel frames). They said it is extremely difficult to get the head bearings out of aluminum style frames. Things may have changed but I wouldn't count on it. If Ohlins themselves don't recommend trying to use them, then I would stay away from them in this case. Anyway, I've been using Scott's for many years and they are awesome. They are even awesome coming into turns at high speed because it helps with stability while trying to pick your line.:p
:ride::moon: :moon: everyone runs em on the alum bikes they are fine

That's strange because I was really interested in the Ohlins and the guy there just kept pushing me away from buying it. Maybe you are referring to the older version instead of the new Ohlin's SD2.0? Here is a picture of the one I am referring to:

Ohlin's SD2.0.jpg

I know ohlins makes their own now, but I'm pretty sure ohlins also makes the scotts one.

Is the ohlins specific model better than the ohlins/scotts model?

I used 10W fork oil in my damper and it made it much stiffer unlike the stock oil which was like water.

I wouldnt think the extra weight would have a massive impact on the way the bike handles, I doubt you would even notice it.

You are looking for something that gives you dampening for the whole range of steering movement arent you?

You will never realize its there till you take it off and ride without it, its the first thing I do when I buy a bike, no matter what brand.

I used 10W fork oil in my damper and it made it much stiffer unlike the stock oil which was like water.

I wouldnt think the extra weight would have a massive impact on the way the bike handles, I doubt you would even notice it.

You are looking for something that gives you dampening for the whole range of steering movement arent you?

Idealy I want a stabilizer that is loose when I turn and stiff when the bars get jerked and something that eliminated head shake.. I dont care too much about the damping when Im turning.

I read an article on revalving the dampener by pro circuit. I bet if you call them and tell them what you are looking for, they can get your valving to how you like it. Plus its cheaper than buying a new dampener. Think i read it in dirt rider mag.

my thread has been hijacked. Can we get back to my original question?

sorry about that... to answer your question, I don't think you'll notice a difference. I use the scotts damper on my 06... i can't tell a difference in weight, only in functionality.

The extra weight will not be noticeable. You will not have negative effects on the forks that you can notice. Sidenote: The stock HPSD can not be made to perform like a Scott's no matter who revalves it.

i was orig gonna get an ohlins unit but my ohlins susp works so good i don't need it now!! if i got one i would go with the ohlins, can be switched for offroad and mx settings