Sign in to follow this  

Need help with 2006 dodge ram headlight

This is driving me nuts. So on my way home from Eastern Washington Sunday I noticed that the road appeared to be a bit darker than usual. Upon arriving at a friends house I verified what I thought and yes my driverside headlight was out. Flip on the high beams and both worked but on lowbeam the right side was out. No big deal just buy a new headlight and install right? Wrong. I installed the new head light and it didnt light up. Maybe a bad bulb? Dont think so. I turn the high beams on and it lights up just like the one I just replaced. I tried to find a fuse that might have been blown but all of the fuses are fine and I couldnt find one for the headlights anywhere. Anyone have any idea why the right side headlight would only work with the highbeams on? No I didnt touch the bulb. I love this truck and have never had a problem with it before. I have put 77,000 miles on it and have only had to replace the tires at around 70,000 miles. I have done searches on line and cant find anything on this problem. I refuse to pay the dealership to look at it. Any help would be greatly appreciated. :p

maybe that side isnt grounding out when its on without the high beams?

• Like 1

Pull the plug to the healdight and test the wires, and compare the results with the known good light socket. This will tell you if you have a faulty ground or power source. Typically there's a 7.5A fuse or so for each beam (L lo, L hi, R lo, R hi) that won't show power until the light is switched on. The bad news is - if you're not seeing power at the plug and your grounding is good there, the lighting system is controlled by the TIPM (the big block under the hood that the fuses are in). There are many parts deep inside that thing that are not user serviceable, so if there is something bad inside of that sucker, you're looking at complete replacement. One thing that I see quite a bit though - double check the grounding point and the wires that go underneath the battery tray... A little corrosive liquid can make an unhappy light harness pretty fast. Hope some of this points you in the right direction!

Dan

• Like 1

Thanks for the replys Erik47 and dkipz. I put the good/working headlight from the passenger side into the drivers side to verify if it was the bulb or the wireing and it lite right up. So I put the one I was having problems with in the passenger side and it too lit up. LOL go figure. I was guessing it was a bad ground as you mentioned Erik47 and it was a dirty contact in the plug for the headlight. Your post was helpful too dkipz thanks to you both. Gas to you guys. :) I love my Dodge and now I can see the whole road again at night.

Your light out chime and light didn't go off ? I haven't had a headlight go out yet (04 Ram 2500, 170,000 miles) but I had a brake light go and that damn chime drove me crazy for the 30min. I had to drive to town to get one.

Your light out chime and light didn't go off ? I haven't had a headlight go out yet (04 Ram 2500, 170,000 miles) but I had a brake light go and that damn chime drove me crazy for the 30min. I had to drive to town to get one.

What engine do you have in your truck? I have the Hemi with MDS and man I love this thing. 24mpg is what I get on the freeway not hauling anything and with cruise control on at 65 MPH. With 2 bikes in the bed and all my sons gear and my tools I still average about 21 MPG at 65 MPH. No I dont go by the digital mileage gauge either. 26 gallon tank and I can go almost 550 miles with bikes, tools, and gear before filling up again and yes the gas gauge is almost bottomed out LOL. :)

Put a dab of dielectric grease on the contacts next time to prevent corrosion from forming on them. Just a little dab'll'do ya.