Progressive spring for shock?

I'll be picking the bike up this weekend (09 SX 250). The spring rate should be good (I weight about 180-no gear).

Congrats!?

you could use a different spring. let us know how the sag #'s work out, with gear. I think the spring will be too light.

as far as SR vs PR, I liked a progressive spring on my stock 06 300 and 07 SX shocks, and I luv my revalved 05 shock with a SR spring on it. done right, either will work. the progressive will give the stock shock a little better feel.

My '08 300 XC-W came with a progressive spring...it was too light (a common issue if you weigh more than 190lbs w/ all gear). I replaced it with a slightly beefier progressive rate spring.

Since KTM's lack the linkage found on the Japanese bikes, the progressive rate spring works well to smooth the initial shock travel. The linkage on the other bikes actually give them characteristics similar to a progressive rate spring.

Non-linkage bikes are more sensitive to spring styles and rates...so getting the sag settings correct is essential. Be sure to measure and set sag in full ride gear (including filling your hydration pack - if you use one - and the bike's gas tank).

I purchased my new spring from Factory Connection. They have extensive experience with KTM. Call them about a possible spring...they'll ask you a ton of questions and make a recommendation based on your answers.

Good hunting.

-Jay

I hear a lot about using progressive springs on KTMs. Will one make an SX more offroad friendly, or do you need to revalve as well?

A revalve is best if you're looking for plushness. That said, I prefer straight rate springs.

My '08 300 XC-W came with a progressive spring...it was too light (a common issue if you weigh more than 190lbs w/ all gear). I replaced it with a slightly beefier progressive rate spring.

Good hunting.

-Jay

Jay,

Your bike came with a 6.9 straight rate spring.

your stock shock is valved for a straight rate spring. if you put a progressive rate on you should have it revalved to get the most out of the progressive spring. straight rate vs. progressive rate spring = preference. if you ask 10 suspension tuners for a ktm which is better you will get 10 different opinions on which is better and why!

Well..... I guess I disagree w/ some of you

I was racing my 08' 250sx off-road ( expert ) 170lbs.

& it was wearing me out , tried diff. straight & prog.

ended w/ Ktm's pds6 progressive on the back ..

much better absorption of the trail junk than the others

Ultimately I went the re-valve route , it's great ( still pds6)

that's my results , suspension is very personal.

Thanks for all the info. I bought the bike from ktmworld, and they offered to revalve and respring both ends for $500, so I went for it. I'll post a ride report if it ever stops raining here in GA.

So, with stock valving, its best to stick with straight rate springs correct? I have a progresive from another bike but dont want to use it if I shouldn't. I dont have the funds to re-valve at this time.

I used a progressive spring on my 06W, 07F, and 07SX with no problems. it may not have been perfect, but it worked. you will be fine.

how about PR springs for front? No.

Byte

I use a straight rate on my 08 per Javier [Trail tricks] advise and it works very well with his set up. My 07 has a progressive on it and it works well also, so like was stated it is really a personal thing. Or if you suspension valving was set up for either spring than stick with that.