Sign in to follow this  

Namibian desert run -prepping the XR4

really just have the xr4 for about 3 months and have the opportunity to do the annual desert run in Namibia, so I thought, why the hell not

Approx 10days, routes will be long (350 -550 km/day except the 3 days playing in Swakopmund -world's highest dunes:banana: ).

Bike is dual sported, current gearing is 15/40, and have no serious issue's tackling sand. Power seems to be enough. But thinking about taking along a 45 rear just play in the dunes. Also have a 22l Acerbis tank. But that seat just kills me doing serious distance. Thinking of shearing the seat lower and making it wider (more comfort and helps lower the bike -I'm short)

Bike is currently having its suspension done, which hopefully will assist to avoid this::p

smacked that electric fence really hard

will be changing oil and filter soon and general check of the nuts and bolts, new tyres

Anything else I should check, would a screen assist those long days, , spares(electrical, tubes etc)

any tips will me much appreciated. 3 weeks to go I'm away

thanks guys

Sounds like a great adventure...... Good Luck

Nuetech Tubless with Slime to save weight, no flats, and be able to air down for the big dunes http://www.mta-la.com/OffRoadTires/NuetechTUbliss/tabid/557/Default.aspx

Blue lock tight everything, seat, kick start, bar clamps, suspension hardware, axle nuts, fenders, gas tank hardware.......every thing

Wide foot pegs......That is a long way to go with the stock narrow pegs

Skid plate

Good hand guards

Lube clutch cable

extra leavers

Go down to the search the baja section for bike prep......

If you take a 45 rear to swap out, you had better take a chain too, or carry an extra chain link you can add to the chain. Probably be easier to carry a 14 counter sprocket and swap that out. You'd be able to use the same chain with just an adjustment for slack. It wouldn't be quite as low as 15/40, but less to carry and an easier swap when the time came.

Are the forks being setup to take into account the big fuel tank?

I agree with the wider footpegs, a must.

As for spares, it depends on if you're running this as a group with some friends or if you're on your own. Friends can break up carrying spares and equipment between them and lighten everyones load.

Extra oiled air filter or 2. Spare spark plug, wrench and a means for blowing out the plug cavity(the vent line off the fuel cap works good).

Some QuickSteel or JB Weld.

If you don't carry spare tubes or at least a spare front that can be used in the rear in an emergency, at least carry a very good tire patch kit and a means of airing it up.

How well does your cope with a 40 rear, what tarmac speed is it good at??

Three more things

Up grade your light bulb to the MAX wattage your stator can handle. (Incase you get stuck in the dunes at night) (55w for a USA bike)

Bleed / Change your break fluid (If it has not been done in the last few years)

Check your spokes

WOW, some ace tips. thanks a mil guys. as for the 40 sprocket, bike goes up to 140ish, but i cruise at 120. not a bad compromise me thinks, she still does what i need in sandy terrain.

How about a pre-filter? i dont use one but i know some of the desert guys fit a bit of coarse foam on top of the airbox just to keep some of that dust out of the airbox.

Also the drain tube on the airbox (you know the crappy plastic squeese tube) is a potential route for sand to get in.

theres lots of solutions for this on here but heres what i did;

I cut the tube back intill it was flush with the airbox flange, then pushed a PRITSTICK cap over the top

pritfix.jpg

seems to work perfectly! (by the way, that IS an adidas shoebox where my engine should be)

hmmmmm

did'nt even know that thing existed. Will check it out tonight. But if you seal it, it won't drain (if water or anything else gets in).

I just heard the route got lots of water this year!!, water crossings in the desert sounds cool tho

Ek's jaloers! Wish I could go on a desert run. I'd do the December one though, as it's smaller and seems more relaxed. Good luck with that one, hope ya have a blast

But if you seal it, it won't drain (if water or anything else gets in).

yea, i jus pull it off to let it drain after every ride or deep puddle lol

Also, if your in REALLY deep, itl fill up thru there if you dont!

Some other guys got a small platic ball valve from a aquarium shop or similar and used that.

Been riding desert for 15 years, in Egypt, Libya, UAE and Oman.

1. Steel back sprocket, not aluminum.

2. Spare clutch lever, perch, brake lever.

3. Clean air filter regularly, adjust chain regularly, make sure side cover fits properly.

4. Sand will get into every oriface, bike and personal. I put everything in ziplock bags (especially camera)

more suggestions if interested.

check my desert:

http://picasaweb.google.com/steveegge/20082009

and http://egge.us/Motorcycle%20Libya.html

steve

• Like 1