Sign in to follow this  

DR-Z400SM With Kickstarter Kit: Smaller Battery OK?

To me, one of the big motivating factors behind installing the kickstart kit on an electric start DR-Z400 is to save weight by removing the starter motor, starter clutch parts, etc.

I'm assuming guys have successfully done this once they fiqure out a way to plug the hole where the starter motor sticks into the back side of the generator cover.

Is there a known lighter-weight and tried-and-true battery (looking for a Yuasa battery number) where, once the electric starter is no longer on board and gobbling up the cranking amps during starting, it could be installed in place of the stock battery?

Something that still allows the lights to be just as bright as stock, even at idle, and will illuminate the taillight with a stalled engine and also keep the clock on time when parked.

Anybody know?

does the kicker model's generator cover have the same fixing points but without the extra cast paice for the starter motor? if so just buy one and put it on instead

Well ,i've been running a KTM battery in my DRZ for a couple of years now. Let me go pull the covers off to check...........................Yuasa YTX4L-BS.

Only had one instance where it wouldn't start.Left the key on after a near death experience(!).But I do ride it every week.

But with a kick start back up, I would recommend this battery.You do have to extend/reroute the + cable as the terminals are reversed.

Saves over a lb. of high up weight.

Nice.

Thanks for checking. :p

Believe it or not, that's the Yuasa battery number I had in mind when I wrote the question this morning.

So, you actually use this battery to crank your DR-Z400 electric starter, or did I misunderstand?

I can see if you have a kick start as back up runing a much smaller battery placed under the air box ( ware the coolent can is -- after doing a turcky baster modd )

rewiring the bike ware the starter cylanoid is closer to the starter would help too

Nice.

Thanks for checking. :banghead:

Believe it or not, that's the Yuasa battery number I had in mind when I wrote the question this morning.

So, you actually use this battery to crank your DR-Z400 electric starter, or did I misunderstand?

Yes. I only have estart. :)