Sign in to follow this  

Quieter Free Flowing Slip-On?

I've got a Pro-Circuit T4 slip-on and this thing is LOUD. Hell, some cranky neighbor called the cops on us yesterday while we were fine tuning my FCR. It's too damn loud in the woods too.

I repacked the muffler yesterday hoping it would quiet it down a bit, to no avail.

Any ideas on a free flowing slip-on that's a bit quieter? I'd prefer to have something that flows better than the stock-can, but if stock is the only viable option, so be it.

I'm running an E header and had the T4 inlet expanded slightly to fit the header.

Tipsy

Classic scenario. :p

I'm using an FMF Powerbomb header with an FMF Q2 muffler.

It makes more power than the stock exhaust, but it's louder than the stock exhaust.

It's quieter than ones like you have, but doesn't make as much power as the louder ones.

The biggest difference is at high RPM.

The free-flowing ones are the ones you can see clear through from one end of the muffler to the other.

You can also hear them clear across town. :ride:

To me, the one I'm using now is as loud as I want to make it while on public roads.

It's always going to be a compromise and how much noise you think is acceptable.

Do you have a quiet insert on the thing?
Actually, I don't think so. We removed the end cap to repack the muffler. There is a spark arrestor in there, but there was no length of pipe as pictured in your link.

Definitely worth looking into.

Insert%20Medium.gif

Thanks!

Tipsy

Do a web search for "Db Killer". It is screw in insert that seems to get good reviews. Also, a search on this forum will get you a fair idea about this product.

If you're running a stock header, I'm under the impression that a slip on, whether loud or quiet, isn't doing much constructive for you other than look good and sound cool. Quiet on a stock header more than likely equals the stock end can.

the yamaha raptor insert seems to have a nice reputation for quiting down without too much powerloss.

the db-dawg has good rep too. Ask user Akis about it.

I made a custom dawg-like insert for my (very loud) Yoshimura TRC.

Regrettably i dont have db or hp numbers on that.

Also I dont like the sound it makes (pop-pop-pop).

i'm running a full muzzy on my off road bike currently.

i let a freind ride my bike a few weeks back while ice riding.

i suddenly realized how loud my bike is. especially @ high rpm's.

as much as i like what the muzzy does for performance, i'm going to run a stock pipe. either full E pipe or e header & s can.

i am going to go big bore kit in an attempt to make up for the loss of power.

even if i put the cork in the muzzy, it's still loud & performance suffers noticeably.

I'm running an E header and had the T4 inlet expanded slightly to fit the header.

Tipsy

If you're running a stock header, I'm under the impression that a slip on, whether loud or quiet, isn't doing much constructive for you other than look good and sound cool. Quiet on a stock header more than likely equals the stock end can.

E header so the slip on probally helps. What about running a stock E can? I would try a db dawg or something like it if its too loud for your taste before putting a stock can back on it.

E header so the slip on probally helps.

Ooops....missed that. Multitasking between work and TT isn't my strong point!

yes, the E header def helps.

Personally, I think the stock muffler breaths just fine, is quiet and produces a nice tone when revved. With the correct jetting and 3x3 mod, the stocker is the way to go if you are looking for quiet.

Thanks for the responses. I'll look into the quiet insert and the db Dawg.

I might just look for a stock muffler if these don't pan out.

Tipsy

Tipsy....

There is not much you can do...without affecting the performance. In case you have`nt read this....

http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=730310

http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=751701&highlight=

Last ditch effort is to build my own can....:p:ride:

Erling

Erling...did you post this just to make me jealous? You do know I live in an apartment in NYC and keep my DRZ in a buddy's garage in NJ???

I can only dream about having the facilities to do that kind of fabrication! I have to give my buddy a lot of credit though. He lets me use all of his tools and I've been having a lot of fun maintaining and modifying my bike at his place.

One day I'll have a garage of my own. Thanks for all of your detailed posts. I enjoy reading and learning. I've taken plenty of mental notes. :moon:

Tipsy

Erling...did you post this just to make me jealous? You do know I live in an apartment in NYC and keep my DRZ in a buddy's garage in NJ???

I can only dream about having the facilities to do that kind of fabrication! I have to give my buddy a lot of credit though. He lets me use all of his tools and I've been having a lot of fun maintaining and modifying my bike at his place.

One day I'll have a garage of my own. Thanks for all of your detailed posts. I enjoy reading and learning. I've taken plenty of mental notes. :banana:

Tipsy

:lol::p .....Sorry Tipsy.....

I know what you mean......And sadly yes......It is nearly impossible to gain both power and lower the noise......Most people tell me that a bigger can won`t help.......But I guess due to the love of R&D....and stubborn`es.....I wan`t to give it a chance. My final can wont bring a radical change....but hopefully will lower it a little....since I have to look my neighbors in the eye...:p:ride: ....I am starting to see a pattern of the pulses though..... The free flowing exhaust pulse (big singles)are flowing so fast that even with a 10 inch can.....It exit`s without much of a dampening above 4000 rpm.....(as I was told by experts......Grrrrrrrr)......But I have to do something myself....since this is my commuting bike......:moon: :moon:

Erling