Sign in to follow this  

07 Maintenance Tips & Mods

I bought and rebuilding an 07 KXF recently. I've not got it back yet, but will soon. I just come off of an 07 YZ450 and done regular oil changes and the like. This is my first 250f and my first Kawi. I need any maintenance tips and tricks that you guys got, treat me like a 4-stroke newbie here. How much more often would I need to change the oil and what kind of oil? How often to check the valve clearence? I COMPLETELY rebuilt the engine, how should I go about breaking her in? Any and all info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks guys,

Brandon

I had an -07. I changed the oil every 4-5 hours. It got dirty at 2-3 hours. I did the oil filter every other or third change.

Any oil is good, as long as it´s made for bikes with wet clutches.

An hour meter is always good.

The hot start plunger likes to stick. Change the connector for an alu one and lube it up good.

While in the carb check/replace throttle cables. Mine broke at 50 hours causing a big crash.

Get an aluminum throttle tube, the stock plastic one is not so good.

Pilot jet should be a #42 or #45.

Get a fuel screw and reroutebeather hose behind the carb.

Check valve clearance every 15 hours approx.

Be careful with air filter.

Also, give the suspension a good checkup. Service interval is about 15-20 hours for the fork for normal folks. The shock can go longer, probably double as long.

Grease linkage and steering head bearings.

Set shifter at a little bit above the footpeg, stock position is most often too low.

As for break-in, just let it warm up, then run it like normal.

Can´t think of much more now, ask me if there is anything particular you are wondering about.

Here is a pic of mine, can we see yours when it´s done?

IMG_1143.jpg

IMG_1141.jpg

IMG_1373.jpg

I had an -07. I changed the oil every 4-5 hours. It got dirty at 2-3 hours. I did the oil filter every other or third change.

The hot start plunger likes to stick. Change the connector for an alu one and lube it up good.

While in the carb check/replace throttle cables. Mine broke at 50 hours causing a big crash.

Also, give the suspension a good checkup. Service interval is about 15-20 hours for the fork for normal folks. The shock can go longer, probably double as long.

Set shifter at a little bit above the footpeg, stock position is most often too low.

Can´t think of much more now, ask me if there is anything particular you are wondering about.

IMG_1143.jpg

IMG_1141.jpg

IMG_1373.jpg

same as above for me, have not done the throttle tube, hotstart fitting, and hour meter. I just change the oil every other ride with motul 5100 and change the filter every other oil change, i've had the hotstart plunger seize on me, so definately keep it greased. i check the valves every half dozen rides or so (maybe around 10 hours?) and they have not budged since the bike was new. I am religious about cleaning the air filter every ride. I'm extremely happy with how reliable my bike has been so far.

IMG_1143.jpg

IMG_1141.jpg

IMG_1373.jpg

hey D-K, a lil off topic here but how do you like that scotts steering stabilizer? i have the rg3 20mm triple clamps and pro-circuit linkage and i was thinking about getting the stabilizer but wasnt sure about over or under mounts. i love the way my bike turns in the tight woods (hare scrambles racing) but wide open sections and rolling sand woops are sketchy at times.

B.T.W. nice ride

IMG_1143.jpg

IMG_1141.jpg

IMG_1373.jpg

surely its not stock suspension?

I bought and rebuilding an 07 KXF recently. I've not got it back yet, but will soon. I just come off of an 07 YZ450 and done regular oil changes and the like. This is my first 250f and my first Kawi. I need any maintenance tips and tricks that you guys got, treat me like a 4-stroke newbie here. How much more often would I need to change the oil and what kind of oil? How often to check the valve clearence? I COMPLETELY rebuilt the engine, how should I go about breaking her in? Any and all info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks guys,

Brandon

get an hour meter do not guess keep records in case hour mete fails.

Why not? Stock suspension on the 07 is VERY good when sprung for rider weight!

hey D-K, a lil off topic here but how do you like that scotts steering stabilizer? i have the rg3 20mm triple clamps and pro-circuit linkage and i was thinking about getting the stabilizer but wasnt sure about over or under mounts. i love the way my bike turns in the tight woods (hare scrambles racing) but wide open sections and rolling sand woops are sketchy at times.

B.T.W. nice ride

It really helps out at high speed. And there is no drag in low speed situations. This damper only dampens away from the center-line. There is no return damping. This helps it "settle" in the straight line.

It also has a high speed circuit that takes away those surprise "spike" loadings that can be felt in handlebars.

Where it really helps is in rough braking bumps. Like the time when you get hard on the front brake and the bike suddenly kicks the back end up. Usually this makes it head shake and wobble (because the fork is so deep in the stroke), but not with the damper. It just becomes a stoppie!:)

All head shake situations are gone.

Do I need to tell you that I like it? Well, I do.:banghead:

If you are wondering about my bike, so yes, it has bone stock suspension.

Or HAD, I might add. It´s sold now.:)

But my -09 has gotten some attention, I just threw in some 0.46 fork springs:thumbsup:

But that´s nothing compared to my buddy´s bike, it´s got Pro Circuit suspension! I guess that would be the old "B-kit".

http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/garage.php?do=viewvehicle&vid=15647

It really helps out at high speed. And there is no drag in low speed situations. This damper only dampens away from the center-line. There is no return damping. This helps it "settle" in the straight line.

It also has a high speed circuit that takes away those surprise "spike" loadings that can be felt in handlebars.

Where it really helps is in rough braking bumps. Like the time when you get hard on the front brake and the bike suddenly kicks the back end up. Usually this makes it head shake and wobble (because the fork is so deep in the stroke), but not with the damper. It just becomes a stoppie!:)

All head shake situations are gone.

Do I need to tell you that I like it? Well, I do.:banghead:

HAHA!! thats exactly what i was wanting to hear. all i need is for my wife to let me spend another $500.

Thank You

HAHA!! thats exactly what i was wanting to hear. all i need is for my wife to let me spend another $500.

Thank You

Don´t ask, that way she can´t say no!