Sign in to follow this  

2004 250exc No Fire !!!!!

Put new plug in. No Fire !!!

Screwdriver in plug boot, held onto, no fire !!!

Where do I start ??

When is the last time it ran? Did you do any work between then and now? First thing would probably be the plug wire/cap. Then maybe the CDI. Is the CDI cracked at all?

He rode it last Oct of 08.

No work, just parked it till Feb of this year.

No cracks on the CDI.

He had a guy tell him to pull plug cap off and cut off a little of the wire and to reinstall the cap. He has not done that yet.

Will try this and let you all know.

Since it's been sitting, I'd bet on the gummed up carb/jets thing first. Is the plug wet? Pour a teaspoon-tablespoon of fuel into the cyl, install a fresh plug and see it if pops off at all.

Jeb I believe they are saying no spark, don't see how that can be fuel related?

Do you have another running KTM handy? If you do start swaping over ignition peices one at a time until you get your spark back. Start with the plug cap and work your way down to the stator and then cdi.

Try unplugging your killswitch first.

FWIW I've had two or three KTM stators die on me since 98 so it's fairly common.

Disconnect the kill switch and put that screwdriver into the plug cap, grab it again and and try again.

Jeb I believe they are saying no spark, don't see how that can be fuel related?

If the plug is wet, it would indicate a possible spark problem. If not, it could be gummed up carb thing. I know they said they didn't see a spark, but since I'm not there to see it myself, I'm just suggesting other possibilities in case the plug wasn't grounded well during testing, etc.

FWIW I've had two or three KTM stators die on me since 98 so it's fairly common.

Tommy B 754: What kind of symptoms did you experience when your stators began to die? Was it a slow mysterious death or did it just not start one day?