Sign in to follow this  

X-ring, O-ring or no ring? chain selection for 50/50 dirt/street

I did a search, but didn't see a thread about what I'd like to know.

In your experience, which chain style is best for both on/off road? It would be going on my XTT550 which will see about 50/50 dirt/street use. I have no idea what type of chain is on the bike now. I do know that when I got it, the rollers were rusty, the chain was tight at many links. I figured I'd see how it worked and replace the chain and sprockets, and I was only riding dirt, so it needed done, but didn't need done A.S.A.P. The rollers are no longer rusty and the links are free, but I'd rather be safe than sorry. I may leave the sprockets alone since those look normal.

Now that I've got it licensed and may be riding it at 60 mph, the time has come to change it.

I know on my dedicated street bike, I accidentally bought a no-ring chain which stretched horrendously and eventually broke after 5 or 6 thousand miles even though it was properly maintained, oiled weekly when hot, all that good stuff.

Note: the xtra T in XTT550 is for "typo".

additionally, if the mods could move this to dual sport, I'd be very appreciative.

a good o-ring or x-ring

+1 so much easier to live with :p

Thanks.

I think I know what I did, I figured I'd search DS and Motard, then forgot to switch back to DS (since it's more trails application than track/MX) before posting.

+1 so much easier to live with :p

for road use yes (less stretching, can go awhile without lubing, etc.)

i dont have an o-ring on the 230 but i clean and lube after EVERY ride

Thanks.

For dirt, yes lubed every time, for street though, twice a day is a little much (at least for me it's daily during riding season). Not that it would hurt anything.

Unless you are racing and absolutely must have every ounce of power, an o or x ring chain is the way to go. Lasts longer, requires less maintenance.

I'd go with the O or X ring. I had a non o-ring and I was adjusting it almost after every ride.

A good o-ring or x-ring. I don't care if it is street or dirt you won't regret it, no muss no fuss. Unless you are a top 10% National Pro you are not going to miss the HP loss because of either chain.

X-ring it is, although I don't understand exactly how it's superior to an O ring.

Is the ring really X shaped? Wouldn't a thicker (inner vs. outer circumference, not height) O-ring make more sense?

I'd go with the O or X ring. I had a non o-ring and I was adjusting it almost after every ride.
On my street bike it was weekly, about six hundred miles, real PITA.

Theroretically, a X ring has two sealing contact areas. Though I would suspect in real life, an O or X ring chain would last the same. I think it has more to do with marketing than anything else.

Regular chain and sprockets last about a year of 50/50 use assuming regular maintenance. O-ring chains last 5+ times longer. Have no experience with x-ring chains but rumor has it they are better than O-rings because of their double sealing surfaces but are also more costly. Good quality O-ring chains seem to be the best value for your money.

Thanks all.

Gotta love marketing, I often suspected that.

Wish I had two identical bikes, run each one half the time using an O-ring on one and an X-ring on the other, see how it works out.

But even that's kind of difficult to determine if there's a difference, knowing my luck, it would rain only on the days when I was running one of them so it would only appear to be a difference as the lube gets washed off continuously on the rainy day bike.

My son's 250 has an o-ring, my 450 an x-ring he rides slightly less than I do, but we ride together most of the time, mine lasts longer, stretched less. Mine is a DID x-ring, his Renthal o-ring, I do the maintenance on both, he might ride harder but has a smaller bike. Mike