Sign in to follow this  

XR200R 17" to 18" rear tire swap

I have a 95' xr200r. Can I swap the stock 17" rear for a 18"? are the hubs the same?

Get a mid-eighties xr250 wheel and it's a straight swap.

Now the hard part... finding one! lol! So do you know if the hubs are the same? can i use the same break cover or do i need to find a complete set up?

Pre 86 XR200R had 18" rear wheels and will fit your SA. The 200 and 250 hubs are not the same but as Yogi said the 250 wheel assembly just bolts in because the axles are the same size, the brake is on the same side, and the brake anchor is the same. The only issue will be brake linkage, try adapting the 200 arm to the 250 backing plate so you use the 200 linkage, or reposition the 250 arm to suit the 200 linkage.

An XR250R 18" wheel will lace to your XR200R hub because both are 36 spoke wheels, but you will need new spokes. Buchanan Spoke is your best source. for spokes.

If you send in a naked hub they will put on any size rim, I just did that and the total cost was about $300; but the hub was 28 spoke and required a special rim, drilling the rim to fit the 28 spoke hub, plus lace and true.

I have a 200 and a 230 and the 230 rear hub is identical and has the 18" rim. cam.