Sign in to follow this  

tool kit storage location for a 1972 honda xl250

Hey, I know these things had tool kits. I got a vintage project bike that I'm putting together for my daughter. You know how girls break stuff and she doesn't live with me any more so she needs to be able to fix a few things herself. I want to put the tool kit back on the bike, but I can't for the life of me figure out on this model where it should go exactly. I can't find a factory spot under the seat or anywhere else. I think there is a storage box or something missing that I need to replace.

Anyone know where this is supposed to be or maybe have a picture?

Thanks a lot!

Check out the parts diagrams on BikeBandit.com

Got any photos? They may go on the handle bars cross-bar.

Yea, Bikebandit was an early stop for me. They show the standard blue bag honda kit. I know my nighthawk has a box in front of the rear wheel for the tools. My ct70 is under the seat pan. A 450 has a plastic box with a top that mounts somewhere. I just can't get a clue where it should be on this one. Honda always had such a nice plan for the tools. This one is coming together as a restoration project. I'd like to keep it close to original. Not to mention that always having those tools on the move was great!

I used to have one a couple of years ago I really think it was under the seat? The factory tool kit was pretty small came in a blue bag I think.

The tool kit on the 1972-74 XL250's were under the seat.

There is a tray in the shape of a triangle, that snaps on the frame rail.

The tool bag fits in a pocket in the tray.

The tool kit on the 1972-74 XL250's were under the seat.

There is a tray in the shape of a triangle, that snaps on the frame rail.

The tool bag fits in a pocket in the tray.

fasterfaster, you nailed it. I saw a picture of that tray you described on a european website for honda's. I had no idea what it was really for because it looked shallow and it wasn't described as a tool tray. That had to be what your talking about. I can't find any other place it could possibly fit.

Thanks a lot!