Sign in to follow this  

2009 kx250f starting issues when hot

the bike usually starts no problem when cold. but i was in a hare scramble sunday and stalled it out and lost a complete lap cuz i couldnt get it restarted in time. What am i doing wrong? i pulled the hot start in.. no throttle and kick after kick it wouldnt start. finally i went wot.. 4 slow kicks.. then 2 kicks later it fired up. is it a jetting problem? if so what should i go to.

the bike is totally stock...

thanks guys!!

They can be hard to start when hot, but some things make it even harder.

Those things could be: idle a bit too high, pilot jet(or fuel screw setting) too rich...

Do you put it in neutral? In neutral it flips a switch that makes it start easier. And do you kick steady all the way from the top? Too fast kicking makes the auto decomp retract, resulting in harder starting.

i always put it neutral. I am just kicking tho, i am not trying to find tdc. could that be my problem? I dont kick real fast, but its not a slow kick either. I have seen people say the jets need to be changed from the factory for better performance. well teh bike hauls ass, its the hot starting that gets me pissed off. Im sure its prolly me and my technique but would like some advice that supports that.

Turn the fuel screw in 1/4 turn and lower the idle a bit.

It will help starting when hot.

Also, when kicking, find the compression then let the pedal back up and kick.

This gives it the best chance of starting.

My experience with running the 4 stroke Kawis in hare scrambles is that they get MUCH hotter than riding motocross. If you stall a perfectly working 4 stroke in a race like this it WILL be an absloute dawg to start! I feel your pain brother........try some of the special coolants that are available - that may help. These bikes are not designed for hare scrambles - they are motocross machines. Get yourself a 250 2 stroke KTM if you want to scramble. My 2 cents.

no way!!! i love this kawi.. i will not let it beat me!!!!! this thing is a dream in the trails when its running. power is awesome. handling is good.. i was having a great time sunday.. till it stalled.

thanks for all the input guys!!

what pilot jet are you running the 09 needs a 42-45 pilot.

My son races an 09 KX250F in hare scrambles and sometimes restarting after going to the ground can be as you have described. However here in the hard pack stuff we usually race he loves the handling and power delivery. I will stick to my trusty two stroke always starts within two kicks and no special techniques between hot and cold starting.

ok.. so after spending some research time and taking advice from you folks here on tt, here is what i found works 99% of the time.

TDC!! no matter hot or cold, if its at tdc 99% of the time it fires with one kick. hot.. cold.. doesnt matter. i had my 2nd hare scramble yesterday. fired on the first kick on the start.. never stalled on me and i had a great finish.

I spent 4-5 hours this weekend practicing my kick starting. out of 35 times starting it.. 34 of them started on the first kick if it was at tdc. the 35th one took 3 kicks.

thanks everyone for the advice!!!

It´s always fun to help someone out when they get as happy as you:thumbsup:

Yeah, finding the hard spot (TDC) and letting the kick starter back up again is the hot ticket, no girlie 2-stroke stabs will do.