Sign in to follow this  

Valve tapping?

I know it's been covered many times but it's easier to ask again i think:bonk:

I just rebuilt my 600 and it was sounding a little rough. so i made sure that the camshaft was a lined up at TDC and then adjusted the valves to .004 in and .005 ex. When i fired her up this morning it ran perfectly fine but it sounds like the valves are tapping. you can hear it pretty good. I took it for a spin real quick and it didn't miss abeat. Do i have a problem or am i just getting worried over nothing Thanks alot, Cody

If it is just faint valve train noise, I think that is just the way the air cooled motors are. It should definitely not have any knocking sounds though. There isn't anyone else you know to listen to it?

I can take to a friend just thought i would ask here first. It has to be the valves. it sounds just like the normal valve train noises only louder. when i was riding down the road i could lean down towards the motor and hear it.

It could also be that I haven't ridden the bike since the beginning of december and forget what it sounds like

You can always hear it just a tiny bit, but it shouldn't be too noticable. My friends 600 had valves out of wack and we adjusted them and it sounded way better. It just takes some experience to know how much is too much.

It just takes some experience to know how much is too much.

That might be my problem. This is the first time ever adjusting. The noise is really noticeable but the bike runs fine, doesn't skip a beat. I guess i'll try to adjust again

Make sure you don't go past the timing mark on the flywheel at all when you adjust. If you go past even the slightest bit, go all the way around and start again. Don't turn the flywheel backwards AT ALL or it won't be right. Follow the manual exactly too. If it's not done exactly, you will never get the gaps right. It took me a while on mine to double check. Also, when you tighten the tapits, make sure they didnt' move while you tightened the nut. It's really sensitive. You might also have timing chain slack if the chain is wore out. Just an idea....Good luck with it.:p

Oh, one more thing, have someone help you. My wife held the flywheel while I adjusted. She also held it with a breaker bar instead of a standard ratchet so it would stop when I wanted and not ratchet further and go past TDC. This way it will stay at TDC the whole time and not mess you up. Hope this tip helps.

Thanks alot Russell

I'll give it a shot tomorrow, I rode the bike for about an hour and it felt real good except for the noise.

yes, better to have bigger clearnaces than not enough on these engines.

Makes sure you have oil pressure to the top end. Easily checkedby loosening the top oil line banjo bolt and turn the engine over. Oil should leak out.

I agree, tapping valves aren't a huge deal. You will never blow an engine with the valves too loose.

I would simply re-check them again. A lot of times, tightening the lock nut is enough to add .001 in. to the clearance. I always leave the feeler gauge in while I make adjustments, and also make sure the feeler gauge still has drag after I tightened the lock nut. Valve clearance is one of those things, it takes a few practice runs before you pick up the tricks...

I have this issue as well. I am used to old BMWs so this has been quite a change. It was very helpful to know not to go over the mark at all and come back. I think I did that as well...

Valves clearances will tighten over time. The adjustments are for valve stretch. So when you adjust them you should go to the loose side of the clearences.

You may lose a very small amount of power (you really can't tell); but, as the valves stretch the valves will quiet down and you'll get every ounce of power. Then it's time to adjust them again.

You'll notice over the life of the valves, the stretch just about ends after the second or third adjustment after break in. That means the valves have just about stopped stretching.

The first valve adjustment is the most important. During the break in the valves stretch the most. They could actually go the point of not having any clearance causing them to not close all the way. In turn causeing burnt valves and a big drop in power. That's why the saying "tappy valves are happy valves" is so important to the life of your valves.