Sign in to follow this  

Rotator cuff tear?

About four to five weeks ago I was lifting weights on my lunch break at work like I normally do. I was working chest and shoulders that day when I was getting ready to do some barbell bench presses.

We didnt have a bench whith the arms that hold the barbell we just had a normal flat bench. I took the flat bench and scooted it up to the incline bench that we had there in order to reach the barbell to do flat presses.

In other words the barbell was to far back behind to begin with but I went ahead and tried to get it.

When I reached back to get the bar which I had 155lbs on it and when I pushed up on the bar and then brought it over my chest to start the press I noticed the strain it took to get the weight over my chest caused my shoulder to hurt.

Its been four weeks now and my shoulder still hurts and is hard to do side laterals (not bent over laterals) and incline presses with barbell which this exercise is impossible for me to do cause it hurts to bad.

pull ups it dont hurt or lat pul downs I can do dumbell chest presses and they dont hurt as long as i warm up first with a light weight.

Could I have a torn rotator cuff in my left shoulder?

Leaveing in just about 10 minutes to go to the ortho here.( Sure wish you were close by Dr.Mark)

He will probally perscribe an MRI and if he does I will let you see it when I get it. If he dont I will let you know what he said about my shoulder this evening when I get back.

My appointment is at 1:15 est.

Here is what he said.......But before I get to that he asked me what the Dr. done about my knee that he sent me to.

I replied I didnt go to him I went to the one in Houston Tx. He said "thats right" "What did he do about it"? I told him that you Dr.Mark done an opposite side patella tendon graft on my good knee and used it for the ACL on the knee I hurt.

He goes "that was stupid why did he use the opposite side of the good knee they always use the patella tendon which is usually the same side.

I told him cause of the recovery time where you are rehabbing both legs at the same time it cuts down recovery time

He said well thats like about all of them and mumbled some other stuff and walked out. I was thinking to myself "you dumb %#$&" you dont know half as much as you think you do.

Well his PA entered the room to see me about my shoulder and said he didnt see any abnormalitys of my shoulder on the X-RAY and he done some range of motion tests and asked me what exercises I do and which ones hurt.

Said I probally just had some inflamation in it and perscribed me some DICLOFENAC 75MG genric for VOLTAREN.

I asked him about the MRI and he said he didnt think Blue Cross would think much of it if he ordered an MRI before he tried the pills first. Told me to come back in 2 weeks and see how it was doing and then if the pills didnt work then get an MRI.

Dr.Mark!..... you need to come down here sometime if you are passing through and straighten this out fit out over here. Show them what a real Dr. is:thumbsup:

This guy is the west bound end of an east bound horse.

Email Norma, and she wil send you an Rx for an MRI of the shoulder. Make sure you tell us what shoulder it is.

Hope it doesnt get as bad as mine! Though i think mine was something like a labrum or something??? Whatever holds my arm in socket is all torn, tried to repair it but too much scar tissue. Now my arm pops out of its socket and it sucks.

Builitt, that needs to be fixed.

I had it operated on once but there was alot of scar tissue so it was hard to repair. The doctor, who is also my boss, said that there was a good chance it pop out again, sure enough it did. He said something like how that if i wanted it repaired again, he would have to use some bone or something???? He's a very good doctor but i just don't remember all what he said. What could be some long term effects from not having it fixed, other than it hurting like hell when it pops out?? It always pops right back in on its own and is never out for more than a second, but man does it hurt.