Sign in to follow this  

98 cr250 leaking oil

My exhaust is leaking oil and going onto the swingarm. My bolt is stripped and falling out of the bottom of the pipe. is there any type of high temp silicone or something I can put on it? or let me know what you think I should do.

Sounds like you're running too rich, shouldn't be leaking oil out your pipe. As far as replacing the bolt, hit Lowe's and get the next size bigger (self tapping) and screw it in, should work fine.

Take a look at your plug and see if you're running too rich, it shouldn't be wet. Do you have drool down your exhaust pipe too from the opening?

First, you need to get your jetting squared away. Then, you need to repack your silencer. Once the fiberglass packing is soaked in oil it will ooze and smoke every time it gets hot. If you don't ride the bike hard enough, it will build up oil in the packing and make spooge.

Sounds like you're running too rich, should be leaking oil out your pipe. As far as replacing the bolt, hit Lowe's and get the next size bigger (self tapping) and screw it in, should work fine.

Take a look at your plug and see if you're running too rich, it shouldn't be wet. Do you have drool down your exhuast pipe too from the opening?

I might be running it a little too rich( 32:1) but I think thats right? and I get a little bit of drool outta the exhaust pipe after a few rides

First, you need to get your jetting squared away. Then, you need to repack your silencer. Once the fiberglass packing is soaked in oil it will ooze and smoke every time it gets hot. If you don't ride the bike hard enough, it will build up oil in the packing and make spooge.

so I should go get some packing?

My exhaust is leaking oil and going onto the swingarm. My bolt is stripped and falling out of the bottom of the pipe. is there any type of high temp silicone or something I can put on it? or let me know what you think I should do.

I always put high temp silicone, on the slip area. get the red high temp. silicone from Autozone or discount auto parts..

I havent changed the packing once since ive owned the bike (bought in january)

and I dont know if the previous owner ever did

I run 40:1 in my smoker. Get yourself a RATIO RITE measuring cup and a good synthetic oil. I use Honda GN2 myself no issues. I normally mix 2 gallons at a time in a container that holds exactly 2 gallons. Replace your spark plug and I'd go ahead and replace the packing in the exhaust as well. It's about $10 and well worth 30 mins of your time. Run it for a few mins (do some high speed passes) and pop out the plug and see what it looks like. Should be a nice grayish-brown and not wet. If its not, you're gonna need to play around with your jets. For under $100 your local dealer could tune and jet it.