Boyesen water cooler kit

So after riding the other day I got home cleaned my bike and popped open the rad cap and found my coolant was down about 2" ? I never had a bike lose coolant like that and I dont sit around and let the bike idle for 5 minutes..The scary thing is where I live here near Sacramento summer comes it gets in the 100's easy and right now im riding it like 60-70 degree weather.. I read some stuff about the boyesen water cooler kit and eneded getting one.. Has anyone put one on the kx450 that can give me any info I may need to know when installing it.. Can I use the original gasket? Is it basically just pulling off the stock cover and impellar and putting this one on or is there more to it.. I should have it tomorrow and im riding thursday and dont want to start doing it and get stuck and cant finish it..

Any info would be great

Thanks

hoss

Just be sure to apply the proper torque on the impeller. I just don´t remember it at the top of my head.

Pour in some Maxima cool-aide mixed 50-50 with Maxima coolanol.

Or other make you like.

If you are concerned, get a higher pressure radiator cap.

Did you check the water before riding? Did it loose water on the first ride too?

The level "self-regulates" to the proper level, but 2" sound much...

When I think about it, didn´t some people have trouble with the water pump having a clip installed wrong? It caused the impeller to rub against the cover and not pump much at all.

Look into it before you ride it again.

There is also an "elbow" for the side of head where the hose connects to the head that Boyesen makes.

I have one on my 08...it was a breeze to put on. It comes with a new gasket so I just put that on there. It was very easy and it seems to work well...I also use engine ice and that seems to do the trick.

I've heard that it's actually supposed to make your bike run about 20 degrees cooler...can you attribute to that as well? I'm setting aside the cash to buy one here before too long, hopefully they perform as well as they're publicsized?

I've heard that it's actually supposed to make your bike run about 20 degrees cooler...can you attribute to that as well? I'm setting aside the cash to buy one here before too long, hopefully they perform as well as they're publicsized?

I would say that its a good improvement...20 degrees...possibly. I ride all out door long track likes Hangtown etc where there is constant air flow. I test alot fo stuff out at my friends supercross track (he's a pro). However, whenever he rides it on a Sx track, he still seems to get my bike hot and/or over heated. The impellar on the new pump is significantly larger than the stock one so I think theres much better coolant flow. Like I said, I also use Engine Ice and powerflow shrouds. I also have a PC thermo strip on my radiator and that never reads very hot, at all. Well under 175 degrees (I think)

• Like 1

I would say that its a good improvement...20 degrees...possibly. I ride all out door long track likes Hangtown etc where there is constant air flow. I test alot fo stuff out at my friends supercross track (he's a pro). However, whenever he rides it on a Sx track, he still seems to get my bike hot and/or over heated. The impellar on the new pump is significantly larger than the stock one so I think theres much better coolant flow. Like I said, I also use Engine Ice and powerflow shrouds. I also have a PC thermo strip on my radiator and that never reads very hot, at all. Well under 175 degrees (I think)

Way good...thanks! ?

The main reason I want to install the aftermarket pump is because...unlike you, I don't run any MX tracks or circuits. 95% of my riding & racing is done out in the desert...80-100 mile H&H style events & trail rides, and sometimes in the slower, rocky & technical sections...the bike will get a little warm. That's why I want to take every precaution I possibly can to help ensure that bike will run as cool as possible. I too have the PC Thermo strips installed on my radiators & cylinder head, and I've yet to see the temperature reach a concerning levle...however I don't want to find out what will happen if it ever does. Once again...thanks for all of your input & info, it's been a tremendous help in aiding the decision to buy the Boyesen pump.

Later,

Brad Bentley

No prblem man, it also looks way trick:smirk: :banghead:

Way good...thanks! ?

The main reason I want to install the aftermarket pump is because...unlike you, I don't run any MX tracks or circuits. 95% of my riding & racing is done out in the desert...80-100 mile H&H style events & trail rides, and sometimes in the slower, rocky & technical sections...the bike will get a little warm. That's why I want to take every precaution I possibly can to help ensure that bike will run as cool as possible. I too have the PC Thermo strips installed on my radiators & cylinder head, and I've yet to see the temperature reach a concerning levle...however I don't want to find out what will happen if it ever does. Once again...thanks for all of your input & info, it's been a tremendous help in aiding the decision to buy the Boyesen pump.

Later,

Brad Bentley

You have no problems running the engine ice? I have heard a couple things, like guys tried it but it didn't work or the bikes ran worse. I have a boyesen supercooler on order, it should be here in a couple days and maybe I will put engine ice in (I have a couple in my garage already for my street bike) when I put it back together.

You have no problems running the engine ice? I have heard a couple things, like guys tried it but it didn't work or the bikes ran worse. I have a boyesen supercooler on order, it should be here in a couple days and maybe I will put engine ice in (I have a couple in my garage already for my street bike) when I put it back together.

Nope, I haven't had any problems with it and I've ran it in all my bikes.?

On cycras site it does not show Power Flow shrouds for the KX's?

On cycras site it does not show Power Flow shrouds for the KX's?

Sorry thinking and typing too fast and blending. I was gonna say he should try the powerflow shrouds but I dint know they didnt make them. I've seen them for my Yami but I guess I figured they made them for all bikes. I've got the powerflow fender kit...my B. ? ::banghead:

You almost made me pee in my pants I was so happy :banghead: when you said that cycra made them for the kx's! Then went to there site and went into a deep depression!!:foul:

Sorry! lol:worthy: Go hit the track, that'll chear you up:smirk: :banghead:?

So anyone figure out what the torque spec is for the impeller? I cant find anything in the manual and Boyesen emailed me this:

The Boyesen SuperCooler Water Pump Kit includes an aluminum investment cast water pump cover and impeller; specifically designed to enhance the performance of your engine’s cooling system. This high flow, hydrodynamic water pump kit has been extensively tested and fine-tuned to flow the coolant more efficiently. By increasing the flow, your engine will run cooler and at a more constant temperature. A difference of as much as 15 degrees was seen during the most extreme testing. A cooler engine means more power, especially during the late stages of a moto.

As with all products from Boyesen we offer our 100% satisfaction guarantee or your money back.

BOYESEN WPK-18 INSTALLATION INSTRUCTIONS

Removal:

Step 1: Drain radiator fluid following instructions in your owner’s manual.

Step 2: Loosen hose clamps and remove hose from the water pump cover.

Step 3: Loosen and remove stock water pump cover. Remove alignment pins and set aside for

installation step 2.

Step 5: Remove stock water pump impeller.

Installation:

Step 1: Install new Boyesen Hy-Flo impeller.

Step 2: Place alignment pins and gasket provided onto the engine case.

Step 3: Align and place Boyesen Hy-Flo water pump cover onto engine case. Install and tighten bolts accordingly.

Step 4: Reinstall coolant hose and tighten hose clamps.

Step 5: Refill coolant system to recommended level.

*IMPORTANT: BOYESEN IMPELLER CAN NOT BE USED WITH STOCK WATER PUMP COVER*

Application: KX450F ‘06-'09 & KLX450R ’08-‘09

Hoss IDK, my "mechanic" type guy ran into the same problem and I think he just torqued it to what he though it shoudl be. I know if you get it all the way tight, the whole impellar shaft starts to spin so it's almost impossible to hold it still long enough to tighten the bolt ?

Sorry Man:banghead: :banghead:

So anyone figure out what the torque spec is for the impeller? I cant find anything in the manual and Boyesen emailed me this:

The Boyesen SuperCooler Water Pump Kit includes an aluminum investment cast water pump cover and impeller; specifically designed to enhance the performance of your engine’s cooling system. This high flow, hydrodynamic water pump kit has been extensively tested and fine-tuned to flow the coolant more efficiently. By increasing the flow, your engine will run cooler and at a more constant temperature. A difference of as much as 15 degrees was seen during the most extreme testing. A cooler engine means more power, especially during the late stages of a moto.

As with all products from Boyesen we offer our 100% satisfaction guarantee or your money back.

BOYESEN WPK-18 INSTALLATION INSTRUCTIONS

Removal:

Step 1: Drain radiator fluid following instructions in your owner’s manual.

Step 2: Loosen hose clamps and remove hose from the water pump cover.

Step 3: Loosen and remove stock water pump cover. Remove alignment pins and set aside for

installation step 2.

Step 5: Remove stock water pump impeller.

Installation:

Step 1: Install new Boyesen Hy-Flo impeller.

Step 2: Place alignment pins and gasket provided onto the engine case.

Step 3: Align and place Boyesen Hy-Flo water pump cover onto engine case. Install and tighten bolts accordingly.

Step 4: Reinstall coolant hose and tighten hose clamps.

Step 5: Refill coolant system to recommended level.

*IMPORTANT: BOYESEN IMPELLER CAN NOT BE USED WITH STOCK WATER PUMP COVER*

Application: KX450F ‘06-'09 & KLX450R ’08-‘09