Sign in to follow this  

600 Mile Oil Change

WR250X. I did go ahead and buy Yamalube 20W-50 figuring the weather will be warming up here in NJ soon.

Temperature verses oil type according to the service manual...

3132009113848am.png

I don't know how much of a difference there is between the two, but I probably wouldn't use 50 weight oil.

A 10W30 will be easy to find for cooler weather.

For warmer weather, I doubt you will find 20W40 anymore. Yamalube discontinued it a few years ago, but strangely never bothered to update their owner's manuals. If you ask the dealer, he has an updated oil viscosity chart that lists the different recommended oils (Yamalube of course) for the various engines! http://www.yamaha-motor.com/outdoor/apparel/apsubcontaineritems/3/121/all/1/detail.aspx

A 20W40 is classified as a "heavy 40", because it has a higher film strength (high temperature/high shear) than a 10W40, which is a "light 40". I think what the engineers were looking for is a 40 viscosity...but with the higher film strength. What I do for warm weather, is run a 1:1 mix of Maxima Extra 15W50 and 10W40. That dilutes the 15W50 viscosity down to where a "heavy 40" would fall, and it has a monster additive package and film strength.

But....if you aren't willing to be creative, probably just live with a 10W40. It's not like you are in the extremely hot south anyway.