USWE SPORTS ACTION HYDRO PACKS GIVEAWAYS!!! Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  

Titles, registration, for an out of state bike (New Mexico)

So I am in the air about moving out to CA from New Mexico, but may have a couple job possibilities, and would like a change for a while. My concern is that I own 3 bikes; a Triumph Speed Triple, 2005 Honda CRF450R, and 2004 CRF250R.

I know that here in NM, the DMV is about as close to hell as you can be without dying and going. Furthermore it's employed by mentally deficient people who thrive on making life difficult.

So, the two Honda's are untitled (one bought out of state in CO, no bill of sale, no title because it apparently wasn't required for the previous owner's situation). The other was bought here, no title because it was lost by a previous owner who is out of contact. There are missing VIN numbers due to the throttle cables wearing on the frame.

So the question would be, by moving out to CA, is there any way to make these bikes legal to ride without titles, and with one of them missing part of the VIN #? Thanks to all the Cali locals for any responses. :p

So I am in the air about moving out to CA from New Mexico, but may have a couple job possibilities, and would like a change for a while. My concern is that I own 3 bikes; a Triumph Speed Triple, 2005 Honda CRF450R, and 2004 CRF250R.

I know that here in NM, the DMV is about as close to hell as you can be without dying and going. Furthermore it's employed by mentally deficient people who thrive on making life difficult.

So, the two Honda's are untitled (one bought out of state in CO, no bill of sale, no title because it apparently wasn't required for the previous owner's situation). The other was bought here, no title because it was lost by a previous owner who is out of contact. There are missing VIN numbers due to the throttle cables wearing on the frame.

So the question would be, by moving out to CA, is there any way to make these bikes legal to ride without titles, and with one of them missing part of the VIN #? Thanks to all the Cali locals for any responses. :p

DMV is the same here, and the wait is ridiculous. You can do your street bikes at AAA, if you're a member.

As far as the non-titled bikes, you're in a pickle. If you're not planning on living here long, I'd get a non-resident sticker. All you have to do for those is show an out-of-state driver's license. No title or registration needed. But, if you are a CA resident for a while, and get caught using the out-of-state sticker, biiiig trouble.

If you are planning on living here long, there are a few options to get around not having a title, but I think those are better off left to PM's.

Much appreciated response. I did read about AAA. Helpful option.

As for length of residency, it would obviously depend on work. As an engineer, it's ideal to stay in a company for at least a year or so. This would probably mean no out-of-state sticker after a while.

If you wouldn't mind a PM, I would definitely be interested in the possibilities for bringing my bikes in. I suppose if worse came to worse, I could find a titled frame for each of the bikes and swap everything else over. Wouldn't enjoy it, but easily doable... :p