Sign in to follow this  

Steering Stem Nut, Is there an order of operation?

Well folks, this may come across as a newbie question, but I have to ask.

Is there an order of operation while tightening down the axle, axle pinch bolts,

lower triple clamp, upper triple clamp, the castle nut, and finally the steering stem nut. My steering stem nut is always coming loose. :ride:

Do I have something in a bind?

Thanks for your input!:p

JW

The steering stem nut has to be tightened while holding the castle nut below or you will not get it tight enough to stay put.

With the fork tubes in the triples, tighten the stem nut to 105 ft. lbs. (probably the highest torque spec on the bike). Only the upper triple clamp bolts need to be loose; nothing else matters.

The steering stem nut has to be tightened while holding the castle nut below or you will not get it tight enough to stay put.
Why would you need to hold the ring nut? :p You're clamping the top triple down to it. It shouldn't move.

I usually take a punch and a hammer to get the castle nut where I want it.

Then I go to the stem nut. Thanks for your input, I will pay attention to the castle nut to see if it moves.

With the fork tubes in the triples, tighten the stem nut to 105 ft. lbs. (probably the highest torque spec on the bike). Only the upper triple clamp bolts need to be loose; nothing else matters.

Ah, ok I'll try that. Thank you!

Why would you need to hold the ring nut? :) You're clamping the top triple down to it. It shouldn't move.

Why would you need to hold the ring nut? You're clamping the top triple down to it. It shouldn't move.

I have found that if I do not hold the castle nut and just tighten down the seering stem bolt alone that it applies force to the castle nut and makes the steering stem tighter binding the bearings somewhat or at least making them tighter than I wanted. To alieviate this once I get the desired tension on the steering stem bearings with the castle nut then I tighten the stem bolt against the castle nut to the proper torque.

Is it just me or has anyone else noticed that happening while tightening the steering stem bolt. Slop in the castle nut threads maybe?

I just had my triples off last night... I noticed the same thing. I got the castle nut where I wanted it, and then when I tightened the stem nut, the bearings felt like they were too tight.

Is it just me or has anyone else noticed that happening while tightening the steering stem bolt. Slop in the castle nut threads maybe?
I just had my triples off last night... I noticed the same thing. I got the castle nut where I wanted it, and then when I tightened the stem nut, the bearings felt like they were too tight.
I notice the same thing, but the ring nut doesn't spin when you torque the stem nut, so holding it won't do anything. The torque spec is only 5 ft. lbs (not that anyone uses a torque wrench on it), which isn't much more than hand tight. As long as the ring nut isn't too tight (just tight enough to remove any play in the bearings), it should be perfect after you torque the stem nut.

All bikes are like this. To get your steering bearings adjusted just right, is not a quick job. You have to tighten both nuts to the proper torque before checking, so it usually takes a few trys to get them just right.

It's worth the time, though. I think steering dampers have become very popular because it is so difficult to keep your head bearings maintained and adjusted properly.

I've never felt the need for a steering damper, when the bearings are right, personally.:)