Supercross Stewarts Holeshot Device.

I just realized by watching the start of Daytona that Stewarts holeshot device

did not disengage and kept his forks compressed. It's no wonder he lost the

front end when he grabbed a handful of works front brake. Poor guy! He has

the worst crashes! If he keeps hitting his head like that, something really

serious is going to happen sooner or later. He is by far the greatest talent

I have seen yet!

STS.

I don't get it either. When he hits his brake and the fork compresses it releases the device. The forks don't rebound until he lets off the brakes. It looked like he braked, and then washed before the forks rebounded. There wasn't enough time for the forks to uncompress from the hard braking so the holeshot device plays little, if any, role in braking. I'm sure the forks rebounded as soon as the front end gave way as it didn't look like the bike was lower in the front when he got on it.

What you really saw is the fact that Stewart carried the front wheel all the way to the corner when he got on the brakes. Crash was totally his fault. No way around it.

Ok hold on a sec..I watched it again and the OP seems to be right about the holeshot device not disengaging. Now whether it caused the front to wash out......dunno.

I will say after watching it frame by frame his forks did seem to be already compressed when he hit the brakes and didn't compress any more. So when he hit the brakes the forks wouldn't compress which he might have assumed would happen.

I watched it at 1/4 speed. His front wheel hits the grass at the same time he's backing off to brake. The wheel touches, stays compressed, then moves up very slightly then as the wash happens they uncompress as its washing. I just think its too much momentum on a slippery surface.

I watched it at 1/4 speed. His front wheel hits the grass at the same time he's backing off to brake. The wheel touches, stays compressed, then moves up very slightly then as the wash happens they uncompress as its washing. I just think its too much momentum on a slippery surface.

I am not following you.......why would he have had the front brake pulled before the front wheel touched down?

I think he was just hauling @$$ and grabbed a handful of front brake on slippery grass so the front end washed out. I'm not doubting you on the fact that his holeshot device hadn't disengaged yet bc you may very well be right but i don't think thats what caused him to wreck. I mean Daytona is the only SX race with a grass start and several of the guys mentioned getting wheel spin right out of the gate so it was obviously slick. I think he just expected it to stick better than it did.

It didn't come out very clearly did it. I mean his body position. There's a difference in the way you sit and move when accelerating vs braking. He is backing off and transitioning into brake mode which is why the wheel drops. Make sense?

Guys, holeshot device or not....

Go out there on your bike, leave the forks alone. Go wide open, 4th tapped on grass, and grab a handful of front brake. Then come back and post what happens.

Whether it was the device or not, for someone making millions of dollars, that was a C class mistake. No one else, lites or MX class did that, in the heats or mains...

Agreed... And thats just how Stewart rides, all out. Win or crash tryin.

They should have removed all of the grass in the first corner. That probably would have prevented the wash out

It didn't come out very clearly did it. I mean his body position. There's a difference in the way you sit and move when accelerating vs braking. He is backing off and transitioning into brake mode which is why the wheel drops. Make sense?

Ya I know about body position.......When I watched it his front wheel was spinning and even kicked up some grass/dirt when it hit...it came back up and then he pulled in the brake and the front wheel stopped spinning.......then of course he ate shit and blah blah

Guys, holeshot device or not....

Go out there on your bike, leave the forks alone. Go wide open, 4th tapped on grass, and grab a handful of front brake. Then come back and post what happens.

Whether it was the device or not, for someone making millions of dollars, that was a C class mistake. No one else, lites or MX class did that, in the heats or mains...

I know from experience it doesn't have to be grass....gravel works good too.:p Caused a 3rd degree AC separation on my right shoulder. :moon:

Definitely seemed like a mistake a vet wouldn't make....yet he did. Must have been all that pressure Reed was putting on him from 16th or so place :ride:

yea Reed really got bailed out there. Once again he got a terrible start.

They should have removed all of the grass in the first corner. That probably would have prevented the wash out

I figured Larry Brooks would be petitioning for this as well! It's not fair. :p

I figured Larry Brooks would be petitioning for this as well! It's not fair. :p

I didn't mean it wasn't fair. It just wasn't very smart by the track designer (RC) and the track builders. They are the pros you would think they would know that grass can be slippery. Maybe I'm wrong I don't know

While they're at it, rake out all the 'golf ball sized rocks and twigs and slipery snakes that always makes my front end washout! lol

Ya I know about body position.......When I watched it his front wheel was spinning and even kicked up some grass/dirt when it hit...it came back up and then he pulled in the brake and the front wheel stopped spinning.......then of course he ate shit and blah blah

I know from experience it doesn't have to be grass....gravel works good too.:p Caused a 3rd degree AC separation on my right shoulder. :moon:AMEN BRO=me too 2 years ago!

Definitely seemed like a mistake a vet wouldn't make....yet he did. Must have been all that pressure Reed was putting on him from 16th or so place :ride:

comment above

Evidently some guys don't know the history of Daytona and don't know much about racing with a hole shot device?:p

My little 70lb rider on a KX 85 loves his cause he ain't got enough azz to keep the front end down either. He knows with 30 or so bikes around him you better keep it pinned and go for the opening.