Sign in to follow this  

Installing Coolant

I just installed the Vapor and needed to drain the coolant to install the temperature sensor. When reinstalling the coolant do I simply add it to the reservoir and then run the bike for about 3 minutes all the while checking the level of the coolant in the reservoir? I am somewhat nervous doing this as I am not mechanically sound and am concerned that running the bike in this manner will cause the engine to overheat / crack.

Do I just need to trust that after a couple of minutes running the engine will draw the coolant from the reservoir through the engine, radiator, etc?

Any help / guidance you can give on this would be greatly appreciated.

I just installed the Vapor and needed to drain the coolant to install the temperature sensor. When reinstalling the coolant do I simply add it to the reservoir and then run the bike for about 3 minutes all the while checking the level of the coolant in the reservoir? I am somewhat nervous doing this as I am not mechanically sound and am concerned that running the bike in this manner will cause the engine to overheat / crack.

Do I just need to trust that after a couple of minutes running the engine will draw the coolant from the reservoir through the engine, radiator, etc?

Any help / guidance you can give on this would be greatly appreciated.

Pour it in the radiator until its above the fins then fill the overflow reservoir to the correct level and you should be good to go.

Pour it in the radiator until its above the fins then fill the overflow reservoir to the correct level and you should be good to go.

Yeah, do this and then run for a few check it, you might have to top up the rad a few mL but reservoir will be a done deal

Thanks All. I think I just needed the moral support to give me some backbone.

That's pitiful!

Fill it through the radiator, leave the cap off, then start the engine. Give the throttle a couple quick twits (blips) then turn the engine off. Refill the raditor and your also refill your resorvoir down below. On the lefft side of the bike, up front on the lowest side, you will see the "Hi" and "Low" marker on the reservoir tank. Fill it to the "Hi" mark. Now put the raditor cap back on and restart the engine and blip the throttle a few more times (let it run for about a minute). Turn it off and check your level one more time and you may need to add a little more. Don;t worry if you think you have too much in there. If your X is stock, it is going to run pretty hot anyway and will boil out the excess through it's overflow line.

If you got the Trail Tech Vapor, you can set your Warning Temp Light to 210 degrees and your Dangerous Temp Light to 240 degrees.

Again, if you are still stock, I would highly suggest rejetting (JD Jetting is the easiest), modify the airbox (another Very Easy modification), and maybe switching your coolant to Engine Ice. In all, you will spend less than $100 and have a totally different bike. You can rejet the carb with the carb on the bike. It will take you no more than 20 minutes, and that is if you are truly a mechanical knuckle-head (no slam on your skills or anything). The JD Jetting kit is so easy and straight forward, and 10 times easier than installing the Vapor you are putting on. If you decide to do it, let me knnow and I will give you a couple hints/tricks also on how to modify the airbox a little easier (done slowly, will take about 10-15 minutes). In the end, no more hard starts, no more bogging, and a richer jetting will have the bike running cooler.

Thanks. Yep, I've opened up the airbox, put an FMF pipe on, jetted the carb and removed the emissions equipment.

Aside from learning to ride, my 450x (basically my first bike) is also hopefully teaching me a bit about engines as I am determined to do all maintenance etc myself. I grew up to a single mother in rural SC without any introduction to engines (no car in family till I was 15) and I always like to be self sufficient and learn new things. In short, and although following a Clymers, I am hesitant and constantly second guessing myself when I make alterations to the bike...I still owe a good bit of money on it and don't want to see it become a yard ornament.

Anyway, I appreciate all of the advice.

Thanks. Yep, I've opened up the airbox, put an FMF pipe on, jetted the carb and removed the emissions equipment.

Aside from learning to ride, my 450x (basically my first bike) is also hopefully teaching me a bit about engines as I am determined to do all maintenance etc myself. I grew up to a single mother in rural SC without any introduction to engines (no car in family till I was 15) and I always like to be self sufficient and learn new things. In short, and although following a Clymers, I am hesitant and constantly second guessing myself when I make alterations to the bike...I still owe a good bit of money on it and don't want to see it become a yard ornament.

Anyway, I appreciate all of the advice.

If you are unsure/unconfident, you should invest in a OEM service manual, it is much better than the Clymers, I'm sure most on here will agree. But most of the maintenance on the bike is very straight forward and simple to do. Just dont over tighten things.

Clymers manuals suck. Get OEM. Heck of a 1st bike, that 450X.

Yeah, the 450X is definately way beyond my riding ability but with the crap I had to go through with my wife to get her to agree to let me get a bike I didn't want to be in a position where in a year I was wanting another bike. I know, I know, "pitiful".

Yeah, the 450X is definately way beyond my riding ability but with the crap I had to go through with my wife to get her to agree to let me get a bike I didn't want to be in a position where in a year I was wanting another bike. I know, I know, "pitiful".

Where in TX?

Cool. My favorite place. I live in Tomball, work in Magnolia, so I'm close to it for night rides and weekends. Really dusty last Sunday but a blast.