Sign in to follow this  

YZ400F or EXC400?

I just bought a 98 Yz400f a few weeks ago and now I found a good deal on a 2002 EXC 400. I have never owned a KTM and I dont know anything about them. I have somebody that is interested in my YZF and I can probably make up the difference in the prices. What differences are there between the two bikes besides electric start? How does the suspension/power/reliability compare? Basically would it be worth it to get rid of the YZ to get the KTM? Im 20 years old 5'9 190 and I plan to race it someday. Maybe GNCC @ Loretta Lynn’s

-The power on the YZ is more aggressive.

-The transmission on the EXC is more adaptable to a wider range of terrain.

-Parts for KTMs may be more expensive and harder to find than the Yamaha but even the price for OEM yamaha parts is high.

In their day the steel valved yamaha 5 valvers and the KTM RFS engine were the among the most reliable 4 strokes out there. The yamaha is 11 years old and the KTM is 7 y/old....if they were abused the engines might very well be towards the end of their reliable service life unless you want to pony up some serious $coin$ to do a rebuild. If the KTM is clean and shows no signs of neglect and the owner can produce maintenence records buy it. I believe you can build those RFS motors all the way up to 570 cc if ya wanted to.

Both are very very reliable bikes, the only problem is the linkless shock on that year KTMs where pretty problematic for handling. You should always redo the suspension on any bike but it might take a misfire to get the suspension right on the Katoom

Ok, it looks like that guy wasnt interested anyway, oh well. looks like I am gonna be riding Yamaha. Thanks for the info on the KTM though :) . I've never ridden one but I want to find out what all the fuss is about someday. I did not realize you could build those motors up like that. My only concern with KTM is that everybody has said that the power is very smooth. That would be great in muddy stuff but it seeme like it would be annoying if you turned a corner and found a muddy hillclimb 3 feet in front of you. I like the idea of the larger KTM's (525 and the older 520's) because it seems that that would suit my riding style perfectly and since buying a new one is out of the question(hence the 11 year old bike) building one sounds kind of interesting. Thanks