Sign in to follow this  

Turn Signal Problem

Did a search and haven't found a thread that addresses the specific issue I'm having with my turn signals. I replaced the rear signals with an aftermarket setup and everything worked fine. Then I replace the fronts with the same aftermarket signals and what I get is a very brief indication on my console then it immediately goes out. None of the blinkers ever light. It's almost like the flasher circuit is discharging before it ever gets enough juice to light up the blinkers - if that makes sense. Anyone have a similar problem and cure? It's the last of my S to SM conversion mods and it's driving me nuts! BTW, pics coming soon!

Were there extra wires when you changed the front signals?

No. The black and white ground wire connected to the ground on the blinker (both sides). The left side black wire connects to the hot lead of the left blinker, the light blue/green wire connects to the hot wire on the right side.

Did you replace the standard bulb blinkers with LED blinkers by chance? If yes then you will need to get a flasher relay made for LED's is all. The LED's don't draw enough current to make the standard flasher work.

make sure you are using a bulb that hs the proper wattage, i have heard of cases where the bulb flashes to fast, see if your bulbs match the ones in the back

Hmmmm... good feedback. They are not LED's but looking at the bulbs, they are MUCH smaller than the original bulbs - tiny little filament. I'll see about replacing the flasher. It certainly makes sense that the new bulbs don't draw as much power. Thanks, guys.

I had a similiar problem with my AM blinks. I wound up just splicing the stock connectors to the AM signals. Problem solved.

I would recheck your wiring. If it is just too low of a load to operate the flasher properly then they should be blinking faster than normal (to indicate a burnt out bulb) and not what you have described.

I would recheck your wiring. If it is just too low of a load to operate the flasher properly then they should be blinking faster than normal (to indicate a burnt out bulb) and not what you have described.

I concur. I had a similar problem but it was only on one side. It turned out to be a small hole in the insulation of the positive wire shorting out to my taillight ground. Good Luck!

They were only $12.99 for the set and it could be that one of them is bad. I'll take them off and check for an internal short. The rear set worked just fine. When I put on the fronts, the whole system went dead.

They were only $12.99 for the set and it could be that one of them is bad. I'll take them off and check for an internal short. The rear set worked just fine. When I put on the fronts, the whole system went dead.

Plug the stockers back in with the new rears, and see if they work. IMHO...I would narrow it down before disecting the whole harness. If the stockers work with the new rears, you know what the problem is.