Are Project Bikes Even Worth It? Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  

I stripped the threads on my transmission oil drain bolt, how do I fix it?

I stripped the threads out on my 2000 CR125's drain bolt hole. the steel drain bolt is not stripped, just the aluminum threads in the drain plug hole are stripped. Can anyone tell me how I can fix this so that it doesn't leak oil anymore? thank you.

You ever see what a Heli-Coil installation kit costs for a M12x1.5 bolt? The best price I have found is $45 for an installation kit from an off-brand (Recoil).

I personally do not like to use heli-coil or anything of that nature unless there is absolutely no way around it. Especially on something that is removed so often. Why not just go one size up on the thread and get a new bolt ? Get a good tap and tap it one size up, make sure to dip the tap in grease so all the metal sticks to it. Flush your oil and your up and riding. JMO

• Like 1

There is nothing wrong with Helicoils, all fasteners into aluminum on aircraft are Helicoiled.

I personally do not like to use heli-coil or anything of that nature unless there is absolutely no way around it. Especially on something that is removed so often. Why not just go one size up on the thread and get a new bolt ? Get a good tap and tap it one size up, make sure to dip the tap in grease so all the metal sticks to it. Flush your oil and your up and riding. JMO

+1 I would try to tap it one size bigger.

I keep a harbor freight tap set in my van to avoid this situation. If the bolt isn't going in easy, run a tap to clean the threads before you have a big problem.

Every Kx 500 I've owned ended up with a heli coil in the drainplug hole.Due to a weak design. I never had a issue with using a heli coil for the drain plug hole. The steel insert realy helps keeping the hols from stripping out.

You may not have clearance around the oil drain bolt to run a larger bolt.

Just tap it with a 1/2"x20. It's just a little bigger than 12mm, and the plugs are sold at most auto parts stores.

wow, thanks for the fast responses, i will try this heli-coil if i can find the right one at O'reilly's tommorrow, or I wonder if I can just use some yamabond that i have, can i put that on the threads to hold the oil in the transmission, cause the bolt will screw in there but it won't get tight and leeks oil, can i just use yamabond? heli coils sound expensive, what do you guys think?

yamabond wont work. you will have to use either heli-coil or time-sert.

I prefer heli-coil but I know opinions vary. Good Luck

had a machine shop do a helicoil for me at the end of the season for $25 (kit was way more). now most of the oil stays in the trans:D it's a little wheepy

Good reply Scott, I am in need of a drain plug repair myself. If I could get a machine shop to do it for $25 I would save a lot of money and I wouldn't have to do the work. I know I will never need a M12x1.5 helicoil again so it doesn't make sense to drop the dough on the kit.