Sign in to follow this  

500 2 stroke or 450 4 stroke?

Not a rich man, so all i have rode was a kx250 and kx500 2 stroke. Loved the power all the way around on the 500 but when ever i was stuck on a hill or in mud, the 500 was such a pain to start cuz of the size of the piston. I ride track occasionally but most of the fun i have is trails and technical stuff with hill climbs here and there.

Question is, now I have a little more money to spend, I was thinking of going 4 stroke. So will a 450 with fuel injection and better technology be able to satisfy me on those hill climbs and such like the 500 did? I wish i could just buy a new ktm 525 with electric start but i dont want to spend over 3000 and i have seen some 450's right in my price range. Any advice?

450's do great on hillclimbs and are probably a better choice when its dry and slippery but in optimum conditions the 500 smoker would be better.

If you're on a budget and ride often I don't think a used 450 would be a wise choice (well...its hit or miss). A 250 smoker would be better but for overall durability and cheaper cost of maintenence the 500 is the best way to go.

I think the 500 is the way to go, many of the 450s are a beast to start when they die and are hot. Id like to see where you found a FI 450 for 3Gs, thats a hell of a steal, unless its trashed. Proper jetting will help with most starting issues though.

CR500 with flywheel weight and jetted right is not hard to start

IMO 450's are great bikes that have alot of small expensive parts inside the motor........