Sign in to follow this  

96 XR400 1,250 bucks

got my eye on a 96 XR400 selling locally for 1250.00, pictures look ok, needs some TLC, plastics, tires etc. Motor Looks good. I am going to go check it out later this afternoon. Hear it run - ride.

Sounds OK,, I just bought a 1997 in pristine condition for 1400cash if that gives you a idea, ,

got my eye on a 96 XR400 selling locally for 1250.00, pictures look ok, needs some TLC, plastics, tires etc. Motor Looks good. I am going to go check it out later this afternoon. Hear it run - ride.

That seems high to me when you consider tires are at least $100 for the pair, plastics are probably another $100, and who knows what else if they thrashed it. Chain and sprockets, levers, cables, etc can really add up fast.

i payed 800 for my 1997 and it didnt need a thing... besides gas

Yea I have yet to look at it and as had been mentioned, parts add up fast, it will from the pictures need all new plastics, tires, chain sprockets, and it is missing a spoke on the rear wheel, seat has tears, I don't know I may pass on this one.

Ya know, the thing is 13 years old. The cosmetic stuff is bound to be a little rough, even if the PO didn't thrash the bike. It's the mechanical stuff that gets you down the trail and that you have to count on to do reliably. It could be a gem of a bike mechanically. Most people price to come down if they have to. I wouldn't rule it out until you have had a chance to look it over "mechanically", get some history on it, and get a general impression of the POs maintenance practices.

yea I think it is not a bad deal, just not for me. If I am fleeting up, I think I would go for a CRF450X, newer technology and it has a button :-)