Sign in to follow this  

need advice 2001 wr250f to 2006 kx250f?

Hi all,

I am considering selling my current bike, the wr, that I absolutly love by the way, for the newer kx and I was looking for opinions. my bike is in really nice shape, and has just modest cosmetic mods, but is mainly stock. the kx is in just as nice of condition, with about the same mods I am looking for, as well as a brand new top end, and suspension done with new valves and springs (although set up for about 20 pounds lighter than me), and front and black excel wheels (which I have always wanted). I was looking for opinions on the kx, what will be better, what would be worse, stuff like that. I know this might be a little skewed towards the kx, but just looking for thoughts, especially from those who have rode both. it would cost me 500 bucks to upgrade to the new bike. I posted this in the wr section too, so I am sorry if you are reading this twice, just wanted both sides opinions

thanks

Jim

One's an off-road bike, and the other is a motocross bike. When you ask what will be better, obviously the motor will be stronger, but have it's power more towards the top. The suspension on any '06 bike will have better valving than an '01, but an mx bike will have stiffer valving. A guy who rides mx would look at the KX and see a bike light-years ahead of an '01 WR 250, and after riding the KX, would probably kick himself for ever using a WR on an MX track. A guy who putts around on the trails might find the KX too stiff, and hard to ride at such slow speeds. He might even over-heat it, as it doesn't have an overflow bottle, and needs air blasting through the rads to keep it from spewing out it's coolant. A lot of guys do ride 'em off-road, but the definition of "Off-Road" covers a lot of different terrain and speeds. You didn't give any information on how and where you ride, so getting any useful opinions on how it'd work for you will be difficult at best.

hey, thanks for the response. I do mainly woods type riding, but not really putting around, more tearing through the woods doing jumps and things of that nature. I have done most all the mods on the wr to make the engine more like the yzf, and I love the power delivery. the overheating comment does make me a little vervious though. before the wr, I rode all 125 two strokes and never had any issues, and they didnt have the overflow bottles. is it more of an issue on fourstrokes? if so, can you add an overflow bottle to the bike?

thanks,

jim Dager

one thing I was wanting was a stiffer and smoother front suspension, so that is a plus, and I would like more power for sure, but still like it fairly down low. are there any mods to increase the low end torque on these bikes?

thanks

Jim

I ride some woods with mine, and I have a buddy who only rides his '08 in the woods, you'll just have to spend some money to make it woods friendly, rad guards, skid plate, bark buster's, tugger strap etc. A light if you ride at night. The suspension should be fine for you, maybe some lower gearing to help with bottom end power and the tight stuff :p

how easy is it to add a headlight to these bikes and what all is involved? what is a tugger strap? thanks

google tugger strap and you'll see :p it's you pull around and man handle your bike through tight woods and when you crash, or need to turn around in tight spaces.

You'd probly have to mod the stator to run a light. I mean if you are making a MX bike a track bike, your gunna have to spend $$$ to set up it up, and vice versa. If you want more power why not get a trail specific 450 like a

crf 450x ? or a KTM 250 or 300 2 stroke those are all woods ready :ride:

just tossin around some ideas. I really like a bike somewhere in the middle of a MX and woods bike, kinda the best of both worlds. I want to start getting into riding on tracks as well. I did most things to my wr to make it power wise more like a yzf, and I like it, but I was wanting better suspension, maybe more power, and I am in love with the aluminum framed bikes, I like them being lighter, lower center of gravity (at least that is what I felt with them), and sweet looking. I may get the bike and keep the wr, ride both side by side for a while and decide which one I want to keep. any more ideas are more than welcome

if so, can you add an overflow bottle to the bike?

thanks,

jim Dager

Yes.. You can put an OEM system on the bike, or buy an aftermarket one. Motion Pro makes a pretty good one, I use on road racing bikes. Works just like a stock one-allows coolant in when the rad spits it out, and allows it to be sucked back into the rad when it cools. IIRC, the MP is about $40.