Sign in to follow this  

Kdx220??

Hi. I'm considering a KDX220 or a KLX300.

I've read lots of opinions after doing a search of archived posts.

Just wondering if the KDX is oil injected or do I need to pre-mix?

I'd be fiddling with either bike should I get it and adding some aftermarket stuff.

I'd be doing woods riding with a mix of tight stuff, rocks, and the odd open trail. I'd like to eventually do an amateur hare scramble.

I love 2-strokes, but the ease of a 4-stroke appeals to me maintenance wise.

I understand both are fairly reliable.

Which one would you recommend??.

I am not an expert, but I can help with your decision a little I think... The KDX is a little quicker, and a little lighter than the KLX300. Honestly if I were looking at 4 strokes I dont think I would be looking at one of those (maybe a 250 of some sort or a 400) There are tons of good four strokes that are smooth and easy to ride. I am not dissing the KLX300, but if it were me I would rather be on an XR or DRZ (both are great bikes). If your goal is to learn to ride fast for racing purposes the KDX may be a good start. They make excellent offroad machines in terms of fun and comfort, and they are quick enough to race at the beginner/intermediate level without having to spend money on mods at all. They are about as bullet proof and reliable as you can get with any dirtbike on the market.

Compared to a KTM or enduro type race bike the KDX is a little heavy, and a little slow, but those things make them more fun on trail rides and adventures. The KDX is probably the most comfortable 2 stroke you will ever find... its also incredibly easy to ride. The good news is that the KDX isnt so heavy or slow that you cant race it and be competitive. Before you decide that you need more power get on a KDX 200 and see if you can hang on to it in the tight stuff with the motor revving in the powerband. 90% that I have met on race bikes couldnt ride a KDX to its full potential. I am not saying that it is the best bike to be on for that type of event, but I am saying until you get to the B class or better you will probably be FASTER and more confident on the little green machine. They are really smooth bikes and tons of fun offroad... if you decide you want better motor/suspension buy a new KTM and keep the KDX for your girlfriend or buddies who want to try riding. If you decide that you love the KDX and dont need a more high tech bike then you can start modifying it. If I were you I wouldnt waste my money on aftermarket stuff for a bike that old unless you plan on keeping it forever. There are plenty of ways to make them more powerful and better in the turns, but if you spend the money to modify the bike you will change some of the charactor, and you will probably lose some of the fun factor :p Honestly if you are going to go that route you should probably just save up and pickup a race bike... or maybe buy the KDX now and ride it for a year? You can probably sell it later without losing much, and that year of riding on a KDX may make you a faster rider than you would have been on a KTM 200 that you were afraid to push. They say the best racers start out on tame bikes and learn to ride the piss out of them before they upgrade.

Joseph

I've owned both a KLX-300 and a KDX-220. The KDX-220 has more power than the 300, is lighter, and more fun to ride. I loved the KLX-300, but only after a number of mods to wake it up. (Pumper carb, head pipe, exhaust, airbox, breather tube, etc.) The KDX-220 is a blast in stock form.

On the plus side (depending on your point of view), the KLX-300 allows you to be VERY sloppy with your riding and get away with it. It lugs very well, revs fairly slowly and handles in a VERY neutral and predictable manor.

Hi. I'm considering a KDX220 or a KLX300.

I've read lots of opinions after doing a search of archived posts.

I'd be fiddling with either bike should I get it and adding some aftermarket stuff.

I'd be doing woods riding with a mix of tight stuff, rocks, and the odd open trail. I'd like to eventually do an amateur hare scramble.

I love 2-strokes, but the ease of a 4-stroke appeals to me maintenance wise.

I understand both are fairly reliable.

Which one would you recommend??.

i dont know where you get youre info, but 2T's are generally much cheaper and easier to maintain. only some import street legal model kdx's (badged kdx2X0SR) came oil injected. i have never ridden the 300, but the kdx is perfect for the conditions you describe

one of my best friends and his younger brother have a kdx 220 both used and about the same year.. one is totally stock and the other was bored out and alot of mods. obviously the modded one is the most fun to ride yet i still enjoy the stock. 220's are hecka fun to ride and are also very quick and nimble. surprisingly for a two-stroke (trail or not) it hooks up great. just remember when looking at them make sure the linkage isnt screwed. my buddy rode hard for a season before he noticed his linkage had tons of slop and it cost a lot of money and time to get it fixed. all in all the kdx is an awesome bike and definitly a good buy

I concur with all kdx220 feedback. Mine was bone stock at purchase, have done the standard stuff (pipe, larger carb/proper jetting, airbox lid mod) for some xtra juice. To me, it performs between stock and your typical mx 2 stroke bike. I put heavier fork springs in it, which greatly improved handling in the woods. Good luck with your decision!

one of my best friends and his younger brother have a kdx 220 both used and about the same year.. one is totally stock and the other was bored out and alot of mods. obviously the modded one is the most fun to ride yet i still enjoy the stock. 220's are hecka fun to ride and are also very quick and nimble. surprisingly for a two-stroke (trail or not) it hooks up great. just remember when looking at them make sure the linkage isnt screwed. my buddy rode hard for a season before he noticed his linkage had tons of slop and it cost a lot of money and time to get it fixed. all in all the kdx is an awesome bike and definitly a good buy

the kdx is no more prone to linkage issue than any other bike except a ktm. your buddys was screwed because of improper or lack of maintanance. the only thing to look out for is a well worn stock top end on a 220

I'm pretty sure the non-U.S. 'sr' models are oil injected.