Riding with mono?

I was just wondering if anyone on here has ridden with mono. I was told by my doctor to stay off the bike for six weeks, but there's some conflict behind this..

My parents just paid for me to stay a week at Millsaps Training Facility, which we are leaving for next Friday.

My spring series starts in 3 weeks, which I'm running in points for.

I have a championship deciding on if I race on Sunday and place top 3.

My question is, has anyone ridden with mono in the case where their spleen is swollen? My doctor said that in many cases with mono, the spleen swells and if anything comes in hard contact with my body it can rupture, resulting in a very serious emergency or even death.

Guys, I'm stuck. Any suggestions? Mom's saying no riding. Dad is saying we get an ultra sound every couple days to see if my spleen is enlarged. I don't care about the achey-ness I'm already feeling and will feel worse after riding, I just need to ride. The only thing I'm worried about is my spleen.

This sucks :/

Dude. At 15 you've got a LOT more races and a LOT more series ahead of you. As a parent, I gotta side with mom on this one. I can certainly appreciate your enthusiasm but c'mon. Do really want to risk losing the rest of year or MORE. Wouldn't you agree that the achyness you're feeling will take away from your sharpness and your "attack" MX attitude?

Yeah I know I sound like a hard ass. We just have a lot planned for the next 2 months.

The reason we're considering riding is because the only symptoms I'm showing as of right now ( 2 days after going to the doctors ) are the swollen glands. Everything feels normal, I'm not sore, constantly tired, I've been able to be active and not deprived to my bed, and I still have my crazy appetite. No swollen spleen, rashes, anything. It's just weird.

I had swollen glands and a sore throat for a long time before i got any other symptoms from mono. Then it hit me like a brick wall, i could sleep days away. Ask your doctor dude, ruptured spleen is like 30mins until you die. I have a couple friends who did theirs while riding, one has his in a cage now. The one without the cage was laid up for a long time.

Dude. At 15 you've got a LOT more races and a LOT more series ahead of you.

Couldn't have said it better. Number one rule in all forms of racing is live to race another day. You could be a professional football player with a 100 million dollar contract, and as a doc I would still tell you to sit this out. My mother in law nearly didn't survive her splenic rupture, and that was while she was under and had the best surgeon at Northwestern working as fast as he could.

Marc in Indy (M.D.)