Sign in to follow this  

Green Sticker? W/License plate.

I have a ca plated bike... Do i still need a green sticker?

I think there is an argument for having both. That being that if your lights are not in order or your horn is broken, then you can't get busted for not being fully street legal while on your favorite fire road because you can be considered a green sticker biker. The "bar" is lower so to speak. I have a plated only bike though and if it came to that (my horn doesn't work and I usually have no mirrors on or blinkers) then I guess I'm busted. The way I figure it, there is always something you can be had for so if you keep it mellow you will probably never get pulled over.

A green sticker will keep you from needing a forest adventure pass if you stop in the forest area for any reason (eat lunch, take pictures, nap, etc.). I have never heard of anyone getting sited for this small detail, but the green sticker will save you from this.

HTH, Eric

Here is something I cut a pasted straight from the DMV website so hope it answers your question. Read second paragraph.

Off highway vehicles (OHV) subject to off-road registration.

OHVs are vehicles such as racing motorcycles, trail bikes, mini bikes, dune buggies, all-terrain vehicles, jeeps, and snowmobiles. These vehicles are operated exclusively off public roads and highways on lands that are open and accessible to the public. They do not require regular registration, but must display an identification plate or device issued by DMV.

It is not necessary to register a vehicle for both on-highway and off-highway use. Valid on-highway registration allows the vehicle to be operated on and off the highway. Vehicles registered for on-highway use only may be subject to a "use fee" if operated in OHV parks.

To change a California registered vehicle from on-highway use to OHV, you will need to:

Visit a DMV office. Make an Appointment(s) for faster service.

Provide the California Certificate of Title.

Pay the original off-highway vehicle application fee (registration fee).

To register an OHV that has never been registered and was purchased from someone other than a licensed California dealer, you will need to:

Visit a DMV office. Make an Appointment(s) for faster service.

Complete an Application for Title or Registration (REG 343) (PDF).

Have a DMV representative, licensed vehicle verifier, or peace officer complete a vehicle verification (on the REG 343 form).

Provide evidence of ownership such as a bill of sale, out-of-state title, or Manufacturer's Certificate of Origin.

Surrender any on-highway license plates.

Pay the original off-highway vehicle application fee (registration fee).

Pay the use tax.

I thought the prevailing theory was not having a green sticker keeps the bike off the DMV radar for pulling the plate...

I think there is an argument for having both. That being that if your lights are not in order or your horn is broken, then you can't get busted for not being fully street legal while on your favorite fire road because you can be considered a green sticker biker. The "bar" is lower so to speak. I have a plated only bike though and if it came to that (my horn doesn't work and I usually have no mirrors on or blinkers) then I guess I'm busted. The way I figure it, there is always something you can be had for so if you keep it mellow you will probably never get pulled over.

If the bike is not being operated on a public road then lighting, etc does not matter. Check CVC 24001

I understand what your saying about CVC 24001. It seems to read that way, However, I wonder if in order to ride somewhere off highway, while displaying a CA plate, you would have to have all DOT equipment working to "validate" the CA plate???

I started a thread on a similar subject, The question was, if you did'nt have all of the required DOT equipment while displaying a plate, would it be a fix-it ticket, or could they impound you?

The consensus was, Most everything equipment related

(Infraction) would be a fix it. However, if you have a plate, on or off road you better have an M1 endorsment, proof of insurance, and current Registration sticker or (not more than 6 Mo past due) as Those were the Impoundable violations. As well as traffic related Misdemeanors.

Bottom line, pass the attitude test and be respectful, it goes a long way!!

I have heard "Rumors". That if you do not have lights, horn etc. on your bike when you are on the trails. That you can be sighted but I dont really know. My bike is a dual registration.:)

Not a rumor. I only run plate.

I thought the prevailing theory was not having a green sticker keeps the bike off the DMV radar for pulling the plate...

I suppose for something like a 2005 450x that should have never been plated that could be an issue.

SOmething like a 2001 650r that was plated in 2001 should never have an issue.

I have dual registration on my 650r I thought that was the best idea to just have all the bases covered.

My logic may be flawed though.

Way back when, I think the green sticker addition was to continue to provide funds for our off-road activities. But, we have all seen how they try to save us from our selves with all the money instead of increasing trails.....

This year Arnold want's to steal the OHV kitty to balance the budget?

I guess when my plate gets pulled I'll be forced to get that new TE-450 but as long as it's there to enjoy.... I certainly will! :) There are so many variables that it's difficult to say what will happen. May have to go back to the Ohio plate but untill then "Lets Ride"

I street registered my 450R in AZ. My wife paid the CA OHV red sticker registration when it came in the mail so now I'm AZ plated and CA red sticker. Go figure.

Keep the plate. You can buy an adventure pass 2 years in a row for less than a green sticker.

But if decide to go green sticker, just register the bike as non-operational for the street.....then get your green sticker. You keep the plate, don't have to pay registration fees every year. This is how I did my Jeep/rockcrawler.... it lets me hit JV, O'Wells, etc., but I won't have to pay yearly registration fees.

Dual registration would be a waste of money, pick one or the other.

I guess when my plate gets pulled I'll be forced to get that new TE-450 but as long as it's there to enjoy.... I certainly will! :) There are so many variables that it's difficult to say what will happen. May have to go back to the Ohio plate but untill then "Lets Ride"

Yeah, that's what I figure. Just got my renewal in the mail last week so I am good to go for another year:ride: