Sign in to follow this  

SO.......If a XR rider wants a KTM........

and wants a dual sport, CALI , what would be the choice for me? need 450+ prolly 525/530 would be my liking. Im aformer MX and desert racer so i need power, i like to short shift and love low and mid torque, know i cant have the best of both worlds for comfort so there is some sacrifice, Need one thats prolly considered the most reliable model/year. Just trying to get some insight. Im coming from a XR650L and thinking about selling street bike and maybe the XRL too and just having one bike thats lighter than the BRP and more capable of an offroad bike. Im in SoCal so theres SO MUCH riding around here that i wouldnt take more than 2hours from home on a ride but more local desert or going up BigBear rides and such. Gimme some help and info, looked thru some of the stickies and im seeing it seems maybe the 09s are actually some of the better but would like input on maybe 02/03 or newer models.

Thanks Guys!!! :p:ride:

:p Traitor to the cause you are...:ride:

But I will admit that my 505 is making me think that the 690 Enduro R may be a replacement for my XR650R when it finally gives in to my abuse. But let me reiterate: this is just thinking. Thinking and doing are two different things.

Yeah the new 690 is heavier than a 525/530, but it is way more comfy on the street, it is in the same ball park as the weight of the 650L, has the power of the 650R (all uncorked mind you) and the dirt capability to match.

690 enduro R!

DEFINITELY dont want any of the larger KTMs like these, i defintely prefer the bikes like the 450/530s, those 690s and bigger bikes just look ridiculious to me

:p Traitor to the cause you are...:ride:

AHHA dont insult me!! LOL :moon:

525/530.... I am a lifelong, diehard, true Honda Thumper aficionado, Until KTM upped the game and Honda has not answered. The Honda 450r and X are just no match for the big 6 speed KTM... I hung my red helmet (sadly), bought a 525 and am as happy as can be. I frequently ride 10-15 hour days, from street to goat trails and everything in between. Get a soft seat and go!!!

I had my bike in SoCal and rode Baja as well.... The bike Honda should build!

• Like 1

You said you wanted a dual sport so your choices are pretty much the 07 450/525 EXCR with the RFS motor or the 08/09 450/530 EXCR with the newer RC4 motor.

Some of the newer motor has some issues that need to worked out, some dont, I havent had any problems with my 530 and the handling and feel of the 08/09's is awsome!

cant go wrong with either 450 or 530??? i never even look at my other bikes anymore!!!

You said you wanted a dual sport so your choices are pretty much the 07 450/525 EXCR with the RFS motor or the 08/09 450/530 EXCR with the newer RC4 motor.

Some of the newer motor has some issues that need to worked out, some dont, I havent had any problems with my 530 and the handling and feel of the 08/09's is awsome!

whats the difference in the excr and exc bikes? i looked and looked and couldnt find what the difference is????

whats big differences in RFS motor and RC4?

Well i rode an 07 450exc tonight, didnt get on it hard and maybe thats why i didnt feel like it had alot of low end troque. Im also not a smaller guy, im taller and heavier so i do drag it down a little HEHE was a very clean bike with an extra warranty purchased from dealer, anyone know if they are transferable????

I think my choice would be a 525 or 530 for sure, dont think if i got a 450 i would be happy with power after getting used to it and knowing there is more in the bigger motor. Whats HP difference between the two anyone know?? im sure torque is a bit noticeable difference in the 530

525/530.... I am a lifelong, diehard, true Honda Thumper aficionado, Until KTM upped the game and Honda has not answered. The Honda 450r and X are just no match for the big 6 speed KTM... I hung my red helmet (sadly), bought a 525 and am as happy as can be. I frequently ride 10-15 hour days, from street to goat trails and everything in between. Get a soft seat and go!!!

I had my bike in SoCal and rode Baja as well.... The bike Honda should build!

i agree with you on honda and their big bore dual sport, the thing that gets me thinkin also is the fact that XR650R that are plated can be had for right around $3500 and there quite the capable bike for half the price of the ktms and with a 680 kit there really fast

lol choices

690 enduro R!

Thats a GNARLY bike! Id love to ride one but at 400 lbs. no way! What the heck do u do with it anyways? Might as well get a 990...

:) Traitor to the cause you are...:banghead:

But I will admit that my 505 is making me think that the 690 Enduro R may be a replacement for my XR650R when it finally gives in to my abuse. But let me reiterate: this is just thinking. Thinking and doing are two different things.

Yeah the new 690 is heavier than a 525/530, but it is way more comfy on the street, it is in the same ball park as the weight of the 650L, has the power of the 650R (all uncorked mind you) and the dirt capability to match.

150 lbs. heavier! F that! If I need more power out of my 530 ill get the Thumper Racing 610 kit...

Well i rode an 07 450exc tonight, didnt get on it hard and maybe thats why i d was a very clean bike with an extra warranty purchased from dealer, anyone know if they are transferable????

I think my choice would be a 525 or 530 for sure, dont think if i got a 450 i would be happy with power after getting used to it and knowing there is more in the bigger motor. Whats HP difference between the two anyone know?? im sure torque is a bit noticeable difference in the 530

Get the 530! And yes the warranty is transferrable. If you need more power get the 610 or 570 kit from the Thumper Racing store.

• Like 1

Get the 530! And yes the warranty is transferrable. If you need more power get the 610 or 570 kit from the Thumper Racing store.

HMMMMM a big bore kit for the 530........I LIKE :) have to go check that out see what it costs and such to build it, just on the in case LOL

WOW there not that expensive for the kits. AND there not far at all from me, maybe an hour drive LOL

I see they have kits for the 450 to 525, 540, and 570 does this mean the bottom end on the 450 is exactly like the 525/530 motors?? the only difference between the two is bore x stroke????

TRAITOR! :)

LISTEN BIOTCH LMAO stay away from me STALKER!!!! I need to go faster!!!!! the 398lb pig is slowing me down baby!!!

LISTEN BIOTCH LMAO stay away from me STALKER!!!! I need to go faster!!!!! the 398lb pig is slowing me down baby!!!

It will not matter what you ride, You will still be a SLUG! HAHAHA! :)

Get the latest model 525 EXC RFS you can find/afford. Street legal in California in the later years (06 and 07 I think). Rock solid reliabilty. Put an EE tall/soft seat on the thing and ride it forever. Tons of aftermarket available and you never have to worry about the bike. 260 lbs (or so) without gas, electric start with kick back up, tons of power. Look no further.

whats the difference in the excr and exc bikes? i looked and looked and couldnt find what the difference is????

whats big differences in RFS motor and RC4?

:)

those 690s and bigger bikes just look ridiculious to me

and a xr 650 L doesn't???? ha!