Sign in to follow this  

A question for the dual sports without keys

I recently had my GSX1100F street bike stolen from in front of my house. Now it weighs around 535lbs so it was not an easy bike to steal. I figure it was more than one guy. I need ideas for the XRR, so how do you guys keep your bikes secure when your out and about, Ulock, cable, chain, disk lock, kill switch or maybe a booby trap. I know if someone wants your bike there going to take it, I'm just looking for something to slow tham down or make them look for an easyer target. I am now going to carry theft insurance on my XRR as I didn't have it on the Katana :p:ride: .

T.I.A Clipity

On my harley i put a padlock thru the rear disk. now being that bike weighs over 700lbs. that a pretty good security device. now with the xr i cant do that. you might have two locks one on both wheels so a theif would actualy have to pick up both ends. and put it in a truck.(damn near impossible for even two guys.)

if they want it, they'll take it. i've done everything with locks through brakes and all that crap...the thing is...they drive around in a box van with no windows, 3-4 guys...stake the place out and then within 30 seconds, jump out the van pick up the bike and throw it in the van and take off.

they don't need to roll it...so unless it's locked up with a nice big chain around a tree or pole, then it's just a waste of time for pros.

i've unfortunately had 3 bikes stolen and they've been in various states of lockdown.

best bet is to ride something that no body wants :p

if you are bent on getting really nice bikes, i'd invest in a tracking device.

well, they do make disc brake alarms. I havn't tried this, but I've been thinking about it. I figure the crappy little fleabag motel I like to stay at when I dual sport the desert ... I could hear that alarm and charge out with a baseball bat and hopefully smash someones skull before it got loaded into the box van.

well, they do make disc brake alarms. I havn't tried this, but I've been thinking about it. I figure the crappy little fleabag motel I like to stay at when I dual sport the desert ... I could hear that alarm and charge out with a baseball bat and hopefully smash someones skull before it got loaded into the box van.

I would put it in the fleabag motel, just request the 1st floor

We go to Laguna Seca every year to watch Moto GP and we have put the bikes inside the room every time.

As for around town, I don't ride mine any where it's going to be out of sight for more than a couple of minutes.

You carry a baseball bat on DS rides???

it's a telescoping baseball bat. jk.

I often truck my bike down, and I sometimes chain it to the truck.

http://www.cyclegear.com/spgm.cfm?L1=5006&L2=30&L3=&L4=&item=TOD_7003_G

I had to cut one of these locks at work the other day and it was a B#$%^.

I went and got one, If i had to work hard to cut it, so will they.

chain it up good and then chain it to some thing. next cover it up, hide it if they have to uncover cut locks they may just move on. sorry to hear about your other bike.

they do make disc brake alarms. +1

• Like 1

Like someone already said; full-coverage insurance is about your best bet. Take pics, keep reciepts, and buy your insurance agent flowers pretty often.

I'd keep it on the truck/trailer and chain the bike to it. Seems like the most practical solution. If I were really worried, I'd have no problems loading the bike just to lock it up. I have my XRR dual sported, but I really don't use the road unless it's to/from a trail.

I would put it in the fleabag motel, just request the 1st floor

I agree with this guy just roll it inside.

You should not treat your bike so bad leaving it out in the dark like that anyways.

i've unfortunately had 3 bikes stolen and they've been in various states of lockdown.

OUCH

you should think about moving to another town.