Sign in to follow this  

2009 DRZ 400S... The Last Hurrah?

I loved my old 1977 Suzuki RM 250B... my Bultaco, Maico 450 Magnum, RD400 Daytona Special and a few other toys I've owned over the years.

Lately, I've been thinking about buying a 2009 DRZ 400S to complete the picture and have some fun again -- originally, I was leaning toward a KTM but I don't want to spend my free time working on things.

I have this sense of urgency... not knowing the unknown about the future of the DRZ 400S. Do you really believe Suzuki is spending R&D to bring a new 2010 DRZ 400S or 450S to market in this climate?... and with the new smog laws looming on the horizon, one can only speculate this is headed for discontinuance, as opposed to a new product release celebration.

I kinda like the white 400S w/silver stripes, my Daytona Special was white w/red stripes...

Thoughts? Opinions?

Not much R&D involved. The S has been almost unchanged since first released. The phrase "Bold new graphics" has been a long running joke. The real questions are will it meet the EPA requirements and is it worth it to Suzuki to upgrade it to meet those requirements when it no long can the way it is. I suspect that Suzy will replace it with a new platform or will drop the dual sport entry from its product line.

... I suspect that Suzy will replace it with a new platform or will drop the dual sport entry from its product line.

That'd be about right. I just bought my first DRZ last week - a 2000 S! I'm so psyched to get it and take it out fireroading after lugging my KLR650 around the place.:ride:

Of course, my KLR was a brand new 07 model - bought it just weeks before the 08 pix came out, and the announcement was made about how that was going to be the new KLR. So I bought my first KLR 20 years into that model's run, and end up with the very last year of it. And I just got my first DRZ and the same thing again. At least this time I'm going used route - and I don't care what they come out with next. I'm gonna have fun with this bike!:p

DNA, out of curiosity, with as many used bikes as there are out there and some virtually new for a fraction of the cost, why buy new? I mean, I like new. No one's doo dooed it up, not dropped and blah, blah, but some of these bikes are damn near showroom condition. Just curious. I've found literally hundreds for sale and MANY of them 06-08's

George

That'd be about right. I just bought my first DRZ last week - a 2000 S! I'm so psyched to get it and take it out fireroading after lugging my KLR650 around the place.:banghead:

Of course, my KLR was a brand new 07 model - bought it just weeks before the 08 pix came out, and the announcement was made about how that was going to be the new KLR. So I bought my first KLR 20 years into that model's run, and end up with the very last year of it. And I just got my first DRZ and the same thing again. At least this time I'm going used route - and I don't care what they come out with next. I'm gonna have fun with this bike!:)

Good for you and welcome to the club!!! The DRZ400 is a great bike, proven tech is always better than having the latest and greatest and being broken down on the side of the road or in the shop while the manufacturer 'looks for solution'.

Not much R&D involved. The S has been almost unchanged since first released. The phrase "Bold new graphics" has been a long running joke. The real questions are will it meet the EPA requirements and is it worth it to Suzuki to upgrade it to meet those requirements when it no long can the way it is. I suspect that Suzy will replace it with a new platform or will drop the dual sport entry from its product line.

Are you saying there's not much R&D involved to bring a FI version to market in 2010? ... or did I misunderstand?

I'm not referring to new graphics...

The way I see it the 2009 MY is the end of the product life cycle due to regulatory issues.

DNA, out of curiosity, with as many used bikes as there are out there and some virtually new for a fraction of the cost, why buy new? I mean, I like new. No one's doo dooed it up, not dropped and blah, blah, but some of these bikes are damn near showroom condition. Just curious. I've found literally hundreds for sale and MANY of them 06-08's

George

Fractions are only relative when the total cost exceeds affordability... I realize that can change at any time, therefore I count my blessings every day.

I usually buy new unless someone has something used I want really bad...

Thanks for the tip... I searched Cycle Trader and found some NOS.

DNA, out of curiosity, with as many used bikes as there are out there and some virtually new for a fraction of the cost, why buy new?

Because you know what you are getting. I opted for a leftover bike from the year before that didn't sell. I've seen people on here pay more for a used bike than what I paid for mine new.

As for knowing what you are buying, case in point... my bike... it will most likely be on the market soon. Do you want to buy it?

http://www.belome.com/images/drzmotor1sm.jpg

Because you know what you are getting. I opted for a leftover bike from the year before that didn't sell. I've seen people on here pay more for a used bike than what I paid for mine new.

As for knowing what you are buying, case in point... my bike... it will most likely be on the market soon. Do you want to buy it?

http://www.belome.com/images/drzmotor1sm.jpg

yep, the reason I usually buy new...

I remember every "used" vehicle purchase I've made in the past 35 years... not many were worth what the seller claimed. It's a rare moment when a seller discloses everything that is wrong with a vehicle, motorcycle, etc...

I have several horror stories...

Well, I can't blame ya guys. I do feel the same way but I'm thinking that for a few grand, I can fix lots of stuff. In any case, all this is irrelevant for me right now. I had 10.45 on my account yesterday :)