Sign in to follow this  

tips for a first timer!!

Hey guys, it is getting close to riding season again here in illnois, and i was going to throw a new top end in my 04 rm 125, i ordered the wesco pro lite complete kit off motosport the other day. i have never changed a top end out befour but i have looked and billions of threads/videos/pitures so i dont think ill have any problems. but i was wondering if anyone had any tips that would be helpful for me!!? anything i should take a look at while its all apart?? any problems you have ran into before?? anything!! haha i just dont wanna mess it up. thanks guys!:p

1) Be careful about dropping anything into the bottom end. Put a towel around the openings

2) Circlips are finicky, be patient.

3) Use plenty of oil when re-assembling

4) Get your cylinder measured with that tool (someone help me out, I cant remember it, i feel like its called a micrometer or something) to make sure that it isnt warped or anything.

5) Check you cylinder for any problems

6) Make sure when you take the head and cylinder on and off you dont just take one nut off at a time. Loosen/Tighten them in increments so you dont warp anything

7) Use a torque wrench

8) Take your time, take pictures (if you feel like they will benefit), read directions, and have fun :p

Good Luck, its not so bad :ride::moon:

1) Be careful about dropping anything into the bottom end. Put a towel around the openings

2) Circlips are finicky, be patient.

3) Use plenty of oil when re-assembling

4) Get your cylinder measured with that tool (someone help me out, I cant remember it, i feel like its called a micrometer or something) to make sure that it isnt warped or anything.

5) Check you cylinder for any problems

6) Make sure when you take the head and cylinder on and off you dont just take one nut off at a time. Loosen/Tighten them in increments so you dont warp anything

7) Use a torque wrench

8) Take your time, take pictures (if you feel like they will benefit), read directions, and have fun :p

Good Luck, its not so bad :ride::moon:

+1, and that tool is a micrometer.

1) 3) Use plenty of oil when re-assembling

what all should i oil up? ive heard to dip the pistion into premix then install it.. but should i be oiling up anything else? or would that cover it? and thanks alot for the tips!!!

Lubricate the wristpin and the bearing really well, coat the the inside of the cylinder, by rubbing premix oil on it. then rub a little on the rings.

Your best bet is to get a service manual and follow the instructions in there step by step.

Good luck.:p