Sign in to follow this  

Weight of Chinese bikes

Why are these bikes so heavy ? The Shineray 250f listed a dry weight of 125kg which if Im not mistaken converts to 275 lbs . Ive seen others that are in the 250 lb range . Im speaking mainly of the mx models . And on that subject Ive seen posts saying you really shouldnt jump these bikes . How bad is the suspension and is it fixable . Also where the hell do I find one of these bikes here in the states lol .

Haven't you heard? Theyr'e made mostly of lead.:p

my son started on a 110cc pit bike he then learned to jump on one of his friends honda crf 150. we then bought him a brand new zongshen 250cc dirt bike on his first time out (5 hours) 7 spokes in the rear wheel had snaped, he now has a yamaha yz250f which is a lot bigger and a lot lighter.

the chinese bikes are to heavy for the components used in some cases.

Regards.

Mike.

Wow thats not good . Ive also read where a lot of people have had oil blown out of the forks after trying to ride the bike hard ... 250s Im talking about . So Im guessing hte excess weight is in the frame ? swingarm ? possibly the engine ?

My KLX250s (Kawasaki 250cc dual-sport) weighs in at over 290lbs.

On the other hand my GY200 was about 260lbs.

Wow thats not good . Ive also read where a lot of people have had oil blown out of the forks after trying to ride the bike hard ... 250s Im talking about . So Im guessing hte excess weight is in the frame ? swingarm ? possibly the engine ?

Thats right, on the chinese 250 the frame and swing arm are heavy box section steel, the front forks are all steel (outer legs are not on most bikes) and the wheel rims are steel instead of alloy. Never had oil blown out of forks before though, we must have got the only good pair of forks shame about the wheel.

Regards.

Mike.