Sign in to follow this  

Supercross Is This Allowed

After the first turn crash at Daytona when Stewart remounted his bike a guy was holding the bike up for him while he was trying to get the bike started. Also the guy pushed him for a few feet once he got it started. I was wondering if this was allowed? Seems like the rider would have to start the bike under his own power, and as for the push by the dude it seems unfair because I know that clutch was smoking hot after that start. I can see picking the bike up for the rider during a big crash or pile up, but a helping push is just kinda to much help. Anyway what do you guys think?

5.14 On-Track Regulations

g. Outside assistance to a rider on the course is forbidden at all times except when the assistance is given by flag marshals or officials placed by the Race Director for the purpose of control and safety with the following exceptions:

1.Assistance by crew members is permitted only in the designated repair and signaling zone.

2.Assistance by crew members is permitted from the starting gate up through the first turn following the start of a moto. (first lap only) These crew

If they couldnt get him remounted and out of the way, the entire race would have been red-flagged. Turn one was part of the race loop so assistance to clear the area is ok on the first lap. Plenty of riders had officials helping them get up and running on that wreck and on all other first turn wrecks this season and past.

How many riders have to crash to have the race red flagged? That seems like it would have been enough.

How many riders have to crash to have the race red flagged? That seems like it would have been enough.

I don't think it is a case of how many.....it is a safety issue that has to do with time. If they can't clear the downed rider off of the track (if the downed rider is on the race track) before the racers come around they will red flag it. I am sure there are other factors that come into play.

They red flagged the SX main here in Phx 3 or 4 yrs ago when Vuillemen crashed on the first lap.....pretty sure that was a solo accident also.

it would have to be bad enough that they wouldn't be able to get everyone cleared off the track or going again by the time the leaders came back around.

Or in DV12's case, I think he got banged up pretty bad and had to get him off the track for medical purposes.

it would have to be bad enough that they wouldn't be able to get everyone cleared off the track or going again by the time the leaders came back around.

Or in DV12's case, I think he got banged up pretty bad and had to get him off the track for medical purposes.

I am pretty sure the first turn at Daytona wasn't part of the track...that makes no sense taken literally but I hope you get what I mean. Not thinking to str8 right now.:)

Yep DV12 needed to be carted off in the mule and I believe they put him on a back board.

I am pretty sure the first turn at Daytona wasn't part of the track...that makes no sense taken literally but I hope you get what I mean. Not thinking to str8 right now.:)

My response was to the question " what it takes to red flag a race" , not Daytona in particular.

Daytona wasn't an issue because it is not part of the track so therefore it was not red flagged.

For goofiness sake...lets say we have a Daytona start where the start straight is used once and skipped the rest of the laps around. Everyone goes down in the first turn. All 20 riders down. No one is seriously hurt, just a big pile up. Do they red flag it or let everyone pick themselves and their bikes up when they can? A free for all.

For goofiness sake...lets say we have a Daytona start where the start straight is used once and skipped the rest of the laps around. Everyone goes down in the first turn. All 20 riders down. No one is seriously hurt, just a big pile up. Do they red flag it or let everyone pick themselves and their bikes up when they can? A free for all.

Yeah that is what I was gettin at, how bad does it have to be to call a do-over?