Sign in to follow this  

rust on 2008 SM frame

Hello all

Im after some advice. I have noticed a line of rust on the down tube weld on my 2008 SM. Has anyone expierienced this and do you think i should take it back to the dealer,will they do anything. The bike only has 3500miles on the clock and its not going to get any better in the british weather we have.

Never crashed dropped or taken off road.

Cheers guys

:p

Mines rusted in the same spot, buts its a 05 and it took 2 years to start. I'd at least try to take and in and see what they say. Good luck.

UK = rust = learn to live with it I'm afraid :ride:

I speak from experience on many bikes over 20 years riding in wet and salty UK :p

Take it in if you like being scoffed at. I dont believe rust is covered on warranty, maybe I'm wrong. Sand, paint and wash the salt off more often next time IMO.

If I had that problem I would keep a garden hose out to rinse er off reaal good ,as often as possible. Or move close to a car wash.

UK = rust = learn to live with it I'm afraid :banghead:

I speak from experience on many bikes over 20 years riding in wet and salty UK :)

After 8 months though thats really not on

Take it in if you like being scoffed at. I dont believe rust is covered on warranty, maybe I'm wrong. Sand, paint and wash the salt off more often next time IMO.

If I had that problem I would keep a garden hose out to rinse er off reaal good ,as often as possible. Or move close to a car wash.

Not always an option when your coming in at four o'clock in the morning after working all day and then getting up early again to go back to work. The joys of being a copper:busted:

I ride my DRZ in NY year round (we use plenty of salt here!) and I treat her pretty rough.......but with some regular washing, I'm only just seeing the tiniest little bit of rust on my frame. Mine's an '00 btw, and spends nearly as much time submerged in the swamps as she does in the sun!

After 8 months though thats really not on

An SM has a non existent front mud/crap guard compared to a regular bike which results in all the crap, grit, stones etc being shot fired at speed from the tyre onto the frame.... like a minishot blaster hammering your frame downtube gradually and constantly. This breaks through the frame paint and lets the rust take hold (unless you treat and repaint thosespots at intervals).