Sign in to follow this  

Front sprocket guard removing

I ride a WR450 '06 on a place full of mud and water. The case is that the front sprocket guard fills up with mud and i'm considering removing it.

Should I leave the aluminium piece that is behind the guard or I have to keep it??

It's dangerous to ride without the guard??

Thanks in advance and sorry for the poor english

keep the aluminum peice just get rid of the plastic, I havnt seen a yamaha on here yet with that plastic still on it lol :p

I spent a few dollars buying a nice Yoshi front sprocket guide and realized that it was identical to the cheap aluminum one under the plastic guard. Just leave the stock one and don't bother buying a new one.

Don't ride with sandals...that's the only reason I can think they put those things on!

so i can remove the ugly looking piece of plastic that is covering my sprocket as long as i leave the metal part on??

This is where my problem comes in. If I take off the dumb plastic thing, the long bolt that secures the top part of it bottoms out. :p

This is where my problem comes in. If I take off the dumb plastic thing, the long bolt that secures the top part of it bottoms out. :p

yea that was my same problem ill try to put some fuel tubing from my rc car around the screw and see if that keeps it in there

pretty easy really, just get a shorter bolt. Take the longer bolt to your local hardware store and find a shorter one with the same threads. Most of us have a misc. bolts kit that has those shorter bolts in it. Hell, if you sent me a postage paid envelope, I'll send you the shorter bolts.

Uh, shorter bolts but it might end up costing a dollar or so.

Lose the plastic, but keep the metal. The metal is to help prevent the chain from eating into the engine case if the chain breaks, but that's also a flawed design at best. It's only as strong as the cast engine case that it's bolted into and that is where the damage from a broken chain usually occurs. More often than not, those bolts will get ripped out, taking part of the case with it.

• Like 1