Sign in to follow this  

Chain and sprockets question

I currently have a primary drive ORH gold X-ring chain and steel sprockets with about 1000 miles on them. I have only adjusted the chain once around last October. I have lubed it frequently and has only seen the street. Looks great.

My issue is I am converting to SM and looking at a 15/39 ratio. Ideally, I would like to get the Drive systems super lite rear 39T, remove a few links from my current chain and be done with it.

I generally would never do this. I always change sprockets with chain at the same time. But I figure with the low mileage, Why not. Be gentle with me in your responses:bonk:

+1 I agree at 1000 miles you are probably showing very little if any wear on your existing setup. Xring chains aren't cheap I say go for it.

I replaced the front sprocket on my '05 SM at around the same mileage as you when mine was new w/ no issues.... stock chain and rear sprocket left intact... btw, this is another option you may consider... Driven Racing makes a 16T front sprocket for the DRZ that fits and won't require you to remove or shorten your chain to install it... tho' removing the front drive sprocket on mine required the use of a rented rattle gun to break it loose.

http://www.drivenracing.com/content.cfm/go/front-sprockets

and Topar Racing has a nice Billet Aluminum CS sprocket guard that fits with it and actually offers more protection than the stock plastic unit:

http://store.toparracing.com/merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=TPR&Product_Code=DRC-003&Category_Code=SUZGCS

the only modifications required in the above set-up is to file out the inner radius of the stock metal chain guard bracket-thingy to fit the larger diameter of the 16T sprocket and chain... only 1/8" or so needs removed and it is easily done with a flat file and vise...

Thanks for the feedback.Good to hear! :p Don't want to spend the money if I don't need too. If the $40 sprockets lasts one season then great, I will get a new set of chain and sprockets next time.

I was considering that option. After performing a search, Everyone seems to prefer the 15/39.

I was considering that option. After performing a search, Everyone seems to prefer the 15/39.

The SM comes stock with 15/41 gearing IIRC, so the 16/41 for me is a good compromise for both off-line performance and top-end rpm's... this would be the same as your 15/39 if I'm subtracting teeth correctly.... the 16/44 would be closer to the SM's stock 15/41 gearing... didn't catch on 'til your last post that you had an 'S' ... :p

Out of curiosity, what would be a good ratio for trail riding an SM with it's 17's?