Sign in to follow this  

Looking into a 09 300XCW

I am looking at getting back into racing after a 25 year lay off. I will be racing with the over the hill gang in the beginner class.

I was looking at a XC300 since I love the 2 strokes, but the only bike I can find is a XCW300.

Do you think this will work out on a motocross track or should I continue to look for a XC model?

Keep in mind I am not going to be flying here, just out to have fun and try to survive my races. But I do not want to buy a bike that is totally unsuited for the job.

Also what is a good price for a new XCW, the dealer here has one for $7499.00 plus tax.

That is a good price! I paid more for mine. As far as racing and going out and having fun, these will do. I assume that you will also be hitting the woods with them, where they're meant to be, but they will go on a track too. Great bike, BTW!!!

I dont know if this will help you. I went to the KTM demo ride a couple weekends back at Jean NV. I was hoping to ride a 300xc when I got there I saw he only had a 250 2 stroke xcw. Wow what a nice bike. I took it out on some whooped out buggy course (no big air- but some air. I am old and slow.) the bike did great, and I weigh 213 in my street clothes. just a short ride but no problem with that fork.

I have a 300xc, love it. Have talked to several owners of 300XCWs. They wished they had the xc trans. Wide ratio trans too big of gaps. Mine top out pretty fast but goes fast enough for me. Turned 50 this year. Don't rule out the 250XC, Friend has one, loves it. ktmtalk.com guys say the 250 revs better than the 300. For mx track that may be the ticket.

If you are buying a bike with the primary goal of riding it on an MX track? Go find the XC model and if your primary goal is MX tracks why not look at the SX250 which is a good bit cheaper and will give you more MX bang for your buck than either of the 300's.

The XC-W is a fine machine but that wide ratio tranny would not be your friend when you come out of a corner feeling tired or slow and are looking to clear that next double...

I love the XC trans although I would give a fistfull of yen for a 6th gear!!

Its always on boil...And a boiling 300 is gnarly weapon. My buddy has the XCW. Its a great bike but for me personally the tranny feels better suited to a 4 stroke with a bit more off idle torque IMO.

I'm too lazy to spend much time working the clutch and my XC seems to have the perfect ratios for tight trails without having to resort to a long day of clutching and being in the right gear. I'm always in the right gear. Derned bike barely drops any RPM's hammering through the box.

The Electric "Re-Starter" is a nice touch on the XC over the SX but I would bet that SX250 will outburst a 300 every single time and get you over that next set of doubles a even better!!! Did I say the SX250 is like way cheaper as well?

I rode a fellow members 250XC last year. We dynoed both the bikes and then rode them back to back.Oddly his 250 felt like what we all think a 300 should feel like. It was mellow and linear. My 300 was much stronger everywhere had a big wheel lofting hit and lambasted that 250 on the dyno by a pretty large margin. The day I rode his 250XC I immediately wondered if i could be faster on the bike that wasnt so stoopid fast in the midrange???

Meh' I like all the money on the table:ride: Plus I think the 300 is the better climber and chugs down a tad lower.

Jeremy one of the salesmanagers up at Fay Meyers in Denver offered me a 2009 XC300 for 7 grand flat out the door the other day.

Kinda diggin' my 08 way too much to even consider. The 300XC is one great bike.

Picture046.jpg

Yea, I think that XC - 'W' will give you a lower 1st gear and a little bit taller 5th. I haven't riden the XC and not sure how differnt it will ride. Like I said, depends what you will mainly be doing with the bike...moto or trails. I know you said you wanted to race, therefor the xc 300 or 250. If your going to be hitting the trails...XCW300. Either way you can't go wrong!!

i have xc-w and have used it on a track but you have to go up 2 teeth in rear sprocket to better use 2,3,4. if you dont there is a bothersome gap between 2, 3. first is to low, 2nd is ok but when you go to thid you have to be moving or else nothing. adding two teeth takes care of this.

Thanks for all the info, I was wondering if changing sprocket size would help.

$7500 is an "OK" price. I think they retail for like $8k.

There's a dealer here in Oregon advertising '09 300 XCW's for $7199 + DMV stuff (250's for $6998).

The only gap I find on mine is from 4th to 5th and if I have the bike on boil it is not a issue. I would love a XC trans if they would just put in a sixth gear. But nooooo. So I have to go with the w, some say they don't mind the lack of top speed but I find myself looking for another gear quite often, I cant imagine what the XC would be like. Anyway that being said if you are just going to ride track like Chaz said look hard at the SX great engine good suspension. CJ

I find myself looking for another gear quite often, I cant imagine what the XC would be like. CJ

Imagine being in 5th and absolutely convinced that you are in 4th. Now that my bike is tagged and I have a sweet trail thats a 35 minute ride from my house with a section of 50-55MPH two lane hwy......I shift into a phantom 5th gear so often that its just a part of my routine!! Even when there is no more gears every half mile i'm trying to shift...Its almost schizophrenic:bonk:

Now imagine an XC with a 13T CS instead of the stocker 14T.

See IMO the XC first gear with the stock 14T is too tall for our most technical trails and leads to clutching the heck out of the bike and almost instant overheating and boilage issue.

I dropped the CS down to a 13T which now mimics the XC-W's 1st gear. Now the XC tranny becomes a totally different beast. Its a technical trail bike instead of a GNCC racer. Its geared uber low has no gaps whatsoever and is just perfect for really gnasty trails. Literally like shifting a semi truck. No RPM drop and always on boil. I can chug my XC to almost a dead stop with no clutch, pull in said clutch and wick the throttle and it explodes up just about anything....Combined with a rear trails tire , Slavens valved suspenders, a scotts stabilizer , SPAL fan with manual switch, 2cool oil and race team rad fluid....Definately has taken me to a new riding level.

I can get up and over tricky stuff that sticks way better riders than me. I can even get up stuff in fat lazy ass sitting on the seat mode!! Its like....Cheating!:)