My first top end, I have some questions.

1. The top of my piston was completely covered in thick carbon and so was the head. Is this normal? If not what is causing this?

2. My connecting rod looks kinda beat-up. Is this normal?

3. My powervalve was completely covered in oil. I mean alot of oil. This can't be normal is it? I am guessing I am way too rich. Is this the case or should I change my premix (currently silkolene)?

4. Some side to side play in the crank is normal right? But up and down play is bad?

1. A little carbon is normal. Your excessive carbon is most likely caused by rich jetting.

2. What do you mean by beat up?

3. It is normal to have a lot of oil on the powervalve. Your premix is fine, you just need to change your jetting.

4. You are correct.

Use B-12 Chemtool to melt away the muck on your powervalve.

I use a N3EJ #2, 175MJ, 48PJ in winter, 45PJ in summer, 1 to 1.5 on the air screw. I use a spark arrestor in the summer and stock exhaust all other times. 32:1 either Silkolene or Yamalube. I'm in Western Wash. and in central Wash. in the mountains during the summer.

by beat up i mean the metal doesn't look smooth. it looks dented up all over, but not in any particular pattern. i would think if it was not normal you would see wear in certain spots. this is everywhere and it is not really beat up just not smooth and a nice finish????

shrub, what elevation are you at? i am at 2500 ft. i was really cautious about leaning it out too much but i think that has been a big mistake. my bike spooges like a mother. i am going to lean it quite a bit and may use your settings as a starting point. my riding style may also be a reason for the problem as i usually ride a gear high.

shrub, what elevation are you at? i am at 2500 ft. i was really cautious about leaning it out too much but i think that has been a big mistake. my bike spooges like a mother. i am going to lean it quite a bit and may use your settings as a starting point. my riding style may also be a reason for the problem as i usually ride a gear high.

I am at sea level to 1800 feet in all seasons except summer where I ride as high as 6400 feet and that where I change my jetting to the leaner setting. Gawd I love summer riding. :ride:

I've learned in my oil experimentation that Motul creates spooge. ? Riding a gear high shouldn't cause spooge. Too much air/fuel mixture (from rich jetting) and not revving the bike combine to result in spooge. However, if you had leaner jetting (to raise engine temperature) and didn't use Motul (or other high flash point oils) then you'd have way less spooge or even none - possibly. Riding a gear high with the right jetting and oil won't cause the spooge IMO.:moon:

by beat up i mean the metal doesn't look smooth. it looks dented up all over, but not in any particular pattern. i would think if it was not normal you would see wear in certain spots. this is everywhere and it is not really beat up just not smooth and a nice finish????

Hey, I went the whole way around on the jetting. I too was experiencing the spooge from hell, which I do not like. My friend kept telling me to run it stock. After careful study, consideration and a bunch of jets, I went back to stock. It just ran best there for me.

I did go to the automotive shop and purchase a length of heater hose that would fit snug around the pipe/muffler junction. I then put a couple of hose clamps on both sides - done - no more spooge on swingarm.